X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• telehort
    replied
    Re: Block over the angle iron...

johnrbek - I thank you very much for the info. For all the time I have spent online with reseaching this oven, I completely blanked out on just doing a web search for my area on this. I had just been visting a few of the national and local home improvement stores and thought I was out of luck. Find it online...gee who'd a thunk it :-)

Leave a comment:

• johnrbek
    replied

Telehort,

Someone else can comment on the 1/4", but I'll give you my input on the 3/8"...

I initially bought 1/4" the max length at home depot was less than required for my span so I returned it... It was $25 a piece.

I looked up "steel distributors" and got a list of 20 or so places here in Miami... some only sold in bulk, some only export, etc, but when I asked where I should go, they pointed me to one place here locally...

As it turns out, I was able to pick a 20 ft long piece of 3/8" angle iron and have it cut to size for the same price as I was paying for the 2 smaller thinner pieces at home depot... So, for the same price, I've got an extra piece of 10 ft 3/8" angle iron laying over here... (I'd sell it to you on the cheap, but shipping my be prohibitive)..

My employer is in Folsom, so I know where Rocklin is... was actually out there for the week last week... Used to live in Orangevale for a while... anyway, here's a link to 25 steel distributors in your area... the 1/4" may be fine, but let me tell, you if you can get the 3/8" from one of these guys, I'd go for it... that 3/8" angle iron ain't going anywhere.

steel distributors in Sacramento, CA on Sacramento Yellow Pages by YELLOWPAGES.COM

JB

Leave a comment:

• telehort
    replied

I'm having a problem finding 3/8" angle iron, what are the thoughts about using either 1/4" angle iron or I can find 3/8" flat bar iron if anything thinks that would work for spanning the opening.

Leave a comment:

• johnrbek
    replied

Thanks Jim!

Have been meaning to get back to you with a word of thanks for the response to my PM the other day as well... Thanks again!

JB

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

John,

I've used a hand held Stihl stone saw with a diamond blade for too many years. Some day, I'll get all my cuts perfect. The more you think about perfection, the less it will come to you. Make up the slack with mortar. Only you'll know it's there, and then you'll forget and get making pizza. Now, perfect pizza is a pieceacake. Right?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• johnrbek
    started a topic Block over the angle iron...

Block over the angle iron...

Question for those that have already crossed this bridge....

Do the 3/8" cuts in the block that go over the 2" x 2" angle iron have to be perfect? If they don't end up level, can I use mortar to even them up with each other?

I started off with a masonry blade on my skill saw, tried the grinder wheel on my grinder, and quickly switched over to the diamond blade on the grinder.. the diamond blade works the best, but my cuts aren't perfect...

Thanks!

JB
Working...
X