X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    Re: splitting bricks vs cutting

A friend of mine built an oven using second hand solid reds. He cut them all in half with a couple of blows using a brick bolster. Using the rough end facing out and wooden wedges on the outside, virtually no gaps on the inside, with home brew mortar and the odd brick shaped with a diamond blade on the angle grinder, the thing went up pretty quickly. Lots more home brew on the outside to fill the gaps and the dome was done. The oven works pretty well. You don't have to have a saw and cut every brick.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

By splits I assume you mean making halfs with a hammer across the brick?
    Splits are made by cutting the brick down the middle length ways.

Leave a comment:

• fabby
    replied

By rotating the joints like that , what will the inside of the oven look like, any pics of yours that you have built like that?

I do have a 4" grinder to pretty the splits up when needed,and I was also going to use that to make some cuts for the arch. I just couldn't see cutting all the bricks for the courses when splitting them seems so much faster.

Thanks for you input

Leave a comment:

• Mudologist
    replied

Consider rotating the cuts 90 degrees, laying a chisel cut to a factory end. You will have a uniform wall thickness. Also I use longer brick on the lower courses, getting progressively shorter on each course. If you add a bit of an angle to the cuts you'll end up with nice tight joints.

I've built several this way and they come out great. You might want to invest in a 4" grinder to fine tune them as needed.

Leave a comment:

• fabby
    started a topic splitting bricks vs cutting

splitting bricks vs cutting

I dont have a brick saw and was thinking about splitting the bricks for my dome. I have split about fifty so far and 60% are pretty even, but some split about a 3/8 " off center. Is this a big deal when the the outside layer will be covered with mortar? the smooth face is on the inside for the appearance, but will some this lead to uneven distribution of heat later on?
Working...
X