HELP! Trouble with transition for landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Trouble with transition for landing

Hey guys, I have been cutting up the floor bricks for my 42 oven today and want a 20" opening, 12.5" tall. I am confused as to how to make the transition from the arc of the oven to the landing. As you come around the arc for the first course (I am cutting the floor to fit inside the first course), does the opening go straight across at the 20" mark on the arc, or does it extend out into the landing area?

I have tried to do a search for pics of landing and arch fabrication but I keep getting an error code. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks, fabby

Re: HELP! Trouble with transition for landing

I built a 42 and if I follow your question, it arc's around to the 20 inch mark. Does this pic help?

PhotoPlog - Vent and Chimney
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

thanks les. that's a good pic. so the landing on that oven is straight out or is it angle out? does angled give you a better view of the cooking area?

Comment

Originally posted by fabby View Post
        thanks les. that's a good pic. so the landing on that oven is straight out or is it angle out? does angled give you a better view of the cooking area?
        It goes straight out. That's the way we did it back in the day I think angled may give you a little more room to work the tools but I have no issues with the entry the way it is.

Comment

I used an angle grinder to cut the brick, (HF was out of the 10" brick saw), so I dont have a perfect joint for the first course. Is it possible to plase some fireclay mix in any voids of the first course and junction of the wall and floor?

Comment

I used an angle grinder to cut the brick, (HF was out of the 10" brick saw), so I dont have a perfect joint for the first course. Is it possible to plase some fireclay mix in any voids of the first course and junction of the wall and floor?
            I wouldn't even bother with that - it's going to fill up with ash. Mine is pretty tight at that location and my scooper still hangs up once and a while. It might be better to have a bigger gap there - can't do any harm. You do not want to mortar....

Comment

just finished reading your build............................................. ......not to shabby. Why not hop a plane to virginia and help me build my dome

thanks for the tips, your pics and your build has helped a lot.

I like the look of the dome but was going to build a shed over mine due to the wet Va weather. Have they improved the dryvit to last without constant upkeep?

Comment

just finished reading your build............................................. ......not to shabby. Why not hop a plane to virginia and help me build my dome

thanks for the tips, your pics and your build has helped a lot.

I like the look of the dome but was going to build a shed over mine due to the wet Va weather. Have they improved the dryvit to last without constant upkeep?
                I have a sister in law that lives back east - don't want to go there I actually wanted to build an enclosure but the wife vetoed the idea because it would block her view to the back yard. I have had no problems with the Dryvit for 5 years running. I may touch up a couple of areas where the ice has tried to chip it away. It is one of the best products I have seen regarding our climate.

Comment

Working...
                X