X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Sorry for repeating myself on the jig.

If you are not tapering and beveling then the jig is probably not in the cards.
    Russell,
    No need for apologies.

Of course taper and beveling is in the cards. Call a spade a spade. My perfectionism and anal retentiveness is not obvious by now? Or is my job site not clean enough for ya? lol
    Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM.
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Ps.
      By the looks of those perfectly round corners. You may also be plague with the dreaded disease.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Russell,
        No need for apologies.

Of course taper and beveling is in the cards. Call a spade a spade. My perfectionism and anal retentiveness is not obvious by now? Or is my job site not clean enough for ya? lol
        Ps.
        By the looks of those perfectly round corners. You may also be plague with the dreaded disease.
        Russell,
        Hope I did'nt offend you. I think your build is superb. I only hope mine turns out as well. Keep posting.
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Oh it is a compliment, that's why I am still working on the outside of my build. Good luck with your build.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

As far as the round floors, I did one, you can do it on wet saw by slowing feathering the cut, little slivers.
            Thanks for the info on cutting curved brick tried it before going to bed this morning. Works great. Working night shift this week going to bed.

Hope I can meet you standards. You have set the bar high.
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Ok Guys,
              My anal retentiveness is kicking back in. I was going back reading my posts to better understand everyone else?s great post. While editing my spelling??. LOL?? I realized I may still be a confused on sailors vs soldiers. ....People who know me think I stay that way, and wonder how I ever get anything accomplished. I was once given a nick name ?Boy Wonder ?hence the avatar. I took it as a compliment, but not the way it was as an insult???.That's ok I like the way God made me.... Help me clarify soldiers vs sailor.
              Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
              Heres one I prepared earlier.
              The first course brick I lay around the oven floor sailor side down and the header facing the oven floor?... I think I got this right??. So my question is why everyone is calling them sailors or solders. Would they not be called headers?????.. Now you are all probably wondering yourself........I hope I didn?t confuse anyone I been known to do that a time or two?????Lol???Sometimes I only amaze myself????..
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Maybe this helps.............I copied this from a mason's website.

Course Setting a course means to arrange in a row. A row of bricks, when laid in a wall, is called a course. It is a continuous level range or row of brick or masonry throughout the face or faces of a building. Each horizontal layer of brick in a masonry structure is called a course. Brick laid flat and perpendicular to the face of the wall are called headers. A header course consists entirely of headers (horizontal, short, narrow side laid on wide edge).

Rowlock Occasionally a special type of course is used for either structural or decorative purposes. The rowlock or rolok is similar to the header course except that the brick are laid on narrow or face edge. This type of course is often used as the top course or cap of garden walls and as window and door sills (horizontal, short, narrow side laid on narrow edge).

Stretcher Brick laid flat with the long face parallel to the wall are called a stretchers. When all the brick in the course are laid in this manner, it is called a stretcher course. (horizontal, long, narrow)

Soldier A soldier course is one in which brick are laid standing on end with the narrow edge facing out. This type of course is sometimes used for decorative effects over door and window openings and in fireplace facings (vertical, long, narrow).

Sailor A sailor course is similar to the soldier course but with the wide edge facing out. It is used for decorative effects (vertical, long, wide).

The width of a masonry structure can be measured by stretchers and joints. The height of a masonry structure can be measured by courses and joints.

Sematics, see what works for you.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Soldiers walk in file, front to back, sailors line the decks arm to arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    Soldiers walk in file, front to back, sailors line the decks arm to arm.
                    Maybe this helps.............I copied this from a mason's website.

Brick laid flat and perpendicular to the face of the wall are called headers. A header course consists entirely of headers (horizontal, short, narrow side laid on wide edge).

Soldier A soldier course is one in which brick are laid standing on end with the narrow edge facing out. This type of course is sometimes used for decorative effects over door and window openings and in fireplace facings (vertical, long, narrow).

Sailor A sailor course is similar to the soldier course but with the wide edge facing out. It is used for decorative effects (vertical, long, wide).
                    You guys are brilliant,
                    Thanks for the clarification. Behiver you?re a wealth of information. Tscarborough, that?s something I can remember.
                    I told you all I tend to get hung up on the little details. It is amazing I accomplish anything.
                    Keep posting I?m having a blast.

PS. You didn?t answer my question?? The first course of brick I lay around the oven floor sailor side down and the header facing the oven floor?... I think I got this right??. Would they not be called headers?????.. Ooh I get it I?m just a peasant I need to shut up and get back to work. ??LOL
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

They are headers if they are longer than they are wide and tall (from the face of the oven). How long are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                        They are headers if they are longer than they are wide and tall (from the face of the oven). How long are they?

They were full bricks 9 x 4.5 x 2.5 Inch cut in half clean faced in. They are almost square except for the brick dust in the bottom of the wet saw ??..ok........Darn it......I'm wrong.................I was hoping you Master builders might let me cut the bricks...................sorry I?ll go back to sweeping the floor and carting the brick?..You think I might be able to mix so mud soon??..Can I, Can I ,Can I???.. LOL
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Sound like you have "snap'd headers"...just to confuse you further!

Lay them on the narrow side, or what would normally be the face of the brick laid strecher bond, with the cut face to the outside of the oven. Easy, huh?

Don't know if it'd really matter if the first course weren't laid Soldier bond, though.

Comment

Ok Danno,

Your right I snap'd headers. I’m going back to carting the brick………How many do need, I’ll go get them for ya…………On the way I’ll apologies to K79 for pointing out his mistake on stretchers……….I might just remind him that our post to view ratio is about to show who da the man……….I’ll be mixing da mud soon………

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/k7...d-19002-8.html

Thanks Danno,

You really know how to kick man off his saw horse........LOL
                            Last edited by kbartman; 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM.
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Chirobuggy's he the man , and he's a only a serf.........Looks like K79 and Boy wonder are going to be pushing his broom...........I promise my next post will be serious
                              Last edited by kbartman; 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Getting serious,

I just want to thank everyone for the support here. I'm having a great time learning and getting to know the FB community. Hope all are enjoy my posts. Raining tonight so I figured I might share some tools, I think they will help the build…….This oven build gives me an excuse to add tool or two my collection……I think I now know the reason I’m over budget……..My love for tools………I can’t go in to a home improvement store......... I always come out broke ……attached are some pictures of my recent purchases I think they will be a must to my build………….. I have added a protractor which I think is a must, to do the beveling and taper to the standards of Beehivers build. Also bought an Angle–lizer template tool…….mainly because it showed on the package bricks being laid out.....the picture sold me…..has anyone found this tool useful?..........Last but not least I improved my IT (indispensable tool) …I think there may be some copyright infringements here:

Ken 524 http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...stem-2670.html
                                I give credit to Beehiver, for the epoxied pencil.

.......... I sold it to Ronco anyhow…..I actually was not aware of “Kens Sting Alignment System “till after the fact. I hope Ken doesn’t sue me…lol…any way here it is ……….String stretch is no longer a problem. The ruler could be calibrated if so desired.
                                Last edited by kbartman; 03-21-2013, 01:33 AM.
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Working...
                                X