Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

Hey Gang, im getting closer to firing up the oven, so i need some thermometers. I need a IR gun, a standing oven thermometer and a thermometer for a future door. What do you have? what recommendations can you make? Preferably like to order from Amazon. Thanks
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

I went cheap on my stuff, because that's just the way I am. Both from Amazon (prime):

Oven Thermometer - Amazon.com: CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

IR Thermometer - GM550 Non-contact IR Infrared Digital Thermometer - Measurement Range: Between -50 ?C and 550 ?C (Between -58 ?F and 1022 ?F)-LED Back lLight Design Equipped with Laser Pointer - Amazon.com

The IR gun defaults back to C when it turns off, however the button on the face changes it back to F. That's the only concern I had with it. It has a very bright laser, I can cast a beam on any house I see.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by okn View Post
      I went cheap on my stuff, because that's just the way I am. Both from Amazon (prime):

Oven Thermometer - Amazon.com: CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

IR Thermometer - GM550 Non-contact IR Infrared Digital Thermometer - Measurement Range: Between -50 ?C and 550 ?C (Between -58 ?F and 1022 ?F)-LED Back lLight Design Equipped with Laser Pointer - Amazon.com

The IR gun defaults back to C when it turns off, however the button on the face changes it back to F. That's the only concern I had with it. It has a very bright laser, I can cast a beam on any house I see.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

I did see that oven thermometer you posted in your thread, i guess ill just get that one. As far as the IR Thermo goes i think id rather get something with a little more quality? if that even matters? as there are some factors with accuracy? Thanks again.

Comment

I know Tel Tru makes some quality stuff so ill look into that also. It can be a little pricey however.

Comment

Harbor Freight for your IR thermometer. You can get them for as little as $24.95 if you watch the sales. And it works just fine. I have had for over a year. no reason to pay more

Our hosts have an in door thermometer that works well and is about the only one I found that has the range you want + a the screw fitting is nice.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I paid $19 for a Tel Tru that goes to 1000degrees, not pricey at all.

Comment

I know the better IR guns have a tighter measuring spot at a longer distance and some have a higher measuring range. I don?t know if either one of those will be much use to you or not. For me, the IR gun is really fun, great at trouble shooting possible hot spots or seeing where you may be losing some heat, and cooking pizza. Fluke is usually a consistently good brand. The oven thermometer is great for anything with the door on. Door thermometer would look great and probably be more or less the same as an inside/oven thermometer. I?m interested in what you choose for the door; please let us know.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                Harbor Freight for your IR thermometer. You can get them for as little as $24.95 if you watch the sales. And it works just fine. I have had for over a year. no reason to pay more

Our hosts have an in door thermometer that works well and is about the only one I found that has the range you want + a the screw fitting is nice.

Ive seen the HF IF Thermo. I was thinking about getting that one, what is the temp range?

Comment

Hi guys, in UK we have a swedish firm called Clas Olsson, they do a Flue Gas Thermometer which runs up to 500c. A few of us guys have them in our doors. There is a 250mm long probe off the back of the dial, that reads the internal air temp.
                  maybe with the use of the Interweb, you'd be able to purchase one?

Comment

Bookemdanno,

That is one gorgeous door! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                      Ive seen the HF IF Thermo. I was thinking about getting that one, what is the temp range?
                      Goes to 950 or 960. Beyond that it shows "NR" or something like that. I figure once the temperature is that high, I don't need to know. The IR thermometer is primarily for reading floor temperatures, which seem to max out in the 800's - and for this purpose it works really well. You use it to tell when the temperature is good for pizza (in lieu of the "flour" test), and to read the various zones of floor heat for baking or roasting

Here is a link to a chapter of The Art of Wood Fired Cooking that I found really helpful in explaining different oven "states" and the use of the IR thermometer.

Pretty cool that this whole book is on Google books. I have the hard copy but I just saw that this is available for free for online reading!
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
                        Hi guys, in UK we have a swedish firm called Clas Olsson, they do a Flue Gas Thermometer which runs up to 500c. A few of us guys have them in our doors. There is a 250mm long probe off the back of the dial, that reads the internal air temp.
                        maybe with the use of the Interweb, you'd be able to purchase one?

Thanks, that is a nice door. I may or may not get a door thermo, well see. I guess a standing thermo should be enough? unless i bake bread, i dont want to have to keep opening the door to check the temp

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          Goes to 950 or 960. Beyond that it shows "NR" or something like that. I figure once the temperature is that high, I don't need to know. The IR thermometer is primarily for reading floor temperatures, which seem to max out in the 800's - and for this purpose it works really well. You use it to tell when the temperature is good for pizza (in lieu of the "flour" test), and to read the various zones of floor heat for baking or roasting

Here is a link to a chapter of The Art of Wood Fired Cooking that I found really helpful in explaining different oven "states" and the use of the IR thermometer.

Pretty cool that this whole book is on Google books. I have the hard copy but I just saw that this is available for free for online reading!

Thats awesome man thank you.

Comment

I also bought the GM550 IR thermometer that okn linked to. Works fine for me. I don't think it's super accurate, and it will sometimes get mis-calibrated or something and read everything 20-30 degrees off in one direction or the other. If I were trying to find hot spots in plumbing or electrical systems, it would be useless. But I'm not--I'm trying to tell if the surface of my oven floor is 500F or 800F, and it works a treat for that . For brick oven purposes, I don't think it pays to invest much in quality here. If it turns on and goes up to 900F or so, it will do just fine. Either the GM550 or the HF model should work well.
                            My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                              X