No announcement yet.

"Oven Cladding" to do or not to do.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Oven Cladding" to do or not to do.....

I have finished the dome of my 42" and have collected the brick dust during the build. I used Heatstop but did not parge any on the outside. I am contemplating making home brew out of the dust and "cladding" the outside surface. Any advice, is this helpful or not. I will be covering the dome wit 4" of ceramic blanket and enclosing after firing initially.

Re: "Oven Cladding" to do or not to do.....

I would do it, but soak/wet the dome before applying the mortar as the bricks will suck all the moisture from the mortar, i also covered the dome to keep it moist
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

If you want more thermal mass cladding works. If you are doing it for structural reasons, it needs to be reinforced. Galvanized fencing or hardware cloth works great.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Or add steel fibres which simply mix into your cladding brew, so you don't have to worry about placement.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Interesting idea with the steel fibers. I'm not sure what kind if fibers you mean. I don't need the structural reinforcement, I hope.!. The thermal mass may be helpful though.

My stainless hood-chimney-double door gizmothingamareetus is supposed to be ready the first week in May. Just enough time to start curing fires and be ready for my Son's wedding on the 18th. Cuttin' it close. This has been a wild ride and this forum is indispensable to me.

Thanks again for everyone's help and encouragement.

moT

Comment

Like these...

SS Refractory Needles

Hardware cloth or galvanized chicken wire isn't that difficult if you pre-wrap the dome and push your mix through it. It helps the bond if you apply a little water to dampen the dome before you apply your parge ...and lift the reinforcement a bit as you push your mix down so it doesn't lay flat without being imbedded in the cladding.

It's all moot if you don't care about adding structural value to your cladding though....just parge away with the homemade mix.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
            X