X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boerwarrior
    replied
    Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Thanks Cheesesteak, that makes perfect sense!

In that case I guess the only thing I need to be careful of is that the mortar between the soldiers doesn't get sucked down into the CalSil board. I have noticed (thru dampening a scrap piece) that the board does not like moisture!

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

My oven is floating on my insulation board. The insulation board is non-structural - so I'm not sure mortaring bricks to it would really do anything.

I don't recall seeing any oven built with bricks mortared to the insulation board.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Really? So I should just mortar the soldiers together but not put any mortar underneath?

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    After waiting a week for it to dry (it was a thin layer) I sealed the leveled surface with concrete sealer.

Next step is to place the Calcium Silicate Board (thanks gswarriors!) on top and lay the floor. I will lay the floor bricks on a thin, dry fireclay/sand mix.

QUESTION: I have heard that builders have issues with mortaring the soldier bricks to the CalSil Board because the board is so absorbent. I have seen a suggestion in this forum to "butter" (literally use butter or margarine) the board to prevent the CalSil soaking the water out of the mortar. What if I were to spray some high temperature (1200 degrees) paint on the edge (outer 5 inches only) of the board to slightly waterproof it before laying the solders? Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks
    Neil
    I wouldn't mortar anything to the insulation board.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

one of my concerns would be paint fumes but this thread seem to address that:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/o...umes-6213.html

I think I am going to try it....

Neil

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

After waiting a week for it to dry (it was a thin layer) I sealed the leveled surface with concrete sealer.

Next step is to place the Calcium Silicate Board (thanks gswarriors!) on top and lay the floor. I will lay the floor bricks on a thin, dry fireclay/sand mix.

QUESTION: I have heard that builders have issues with mortaring the soldier bricks to the CalSil Board because the board is so absorbent. I have seen a suggestion in this forum to "butter" (literally use butter or margarine) the board to prevent the CalSil soaking the water out of the mortar. What if I were to spray some high temperature (1200 degrees) paint on the edge (outer 5 inches only) of the board to slightly waterproof it before laying the solders? Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks
    Neil

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Depends on what you want to measure. I only put in two and I talked to Karangi Dude (he put in a number of TCs) and based on what I wanted to measure (brick saturation). I would look at his build because he has alot to temperature data. Here is where I placed mine base on recommendations from KD.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/wo...tml#post133700

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

QUESTION: About Thermocouples...

I have a fancy voltmeter that can read temperature from "K" thermocouples so I bought a couple of inexpensive high temperature (rated to 1800 degrees) thermocouples online. I tested them in my AGA oven and they seem to work great.

I'd like to place them in the firebrick so I can read the temperatures - especially in the beginning when I am learning how to use the oven and while the oven is still drying out.. Any suggestions where to place them?

I found a couple of references in the forum and it seems like placing one in the center floor brick (about 1 1/2 inches in from the bottom) and one in one of the bricks near the back of the dome would be good? Does this sound right?

Thanks! Neil

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Thanks UtahBeeHiver!

today I cut the floor bricks. Not nearly as accurate as many others on this forum but I think they will work. What gives me comfort are the numerous comments along the lines of "ash fills in the gaps" !

I haven't yet decided what I am going to do for the very front 5 inches. I may extend the firebrick all the way to the front or I might use the antique bricks for a narrow front landing. I will decide that later (but soon!)

Neil

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Nice looking base sure your build will follow suit.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Thanks Cheesesteak

wow, I just looked at your outdoor kitchen pictures - incredible! I hope mine is 1/10 as nice when I'm done!

Neil

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    Here is a picture of my base so far. I can attach picture of the build to get to this point but I did nothing special that has not been done by all the other oven builders on this site!

As I said, I modifed the design to accomodate a 32" Pompeii (originally was going to build a Barrel/Vault)

Next step is to pour a bit of leveling compound on the slightly rough concrete surface, then put down 3" of CalSil Board, then start building the oven!
    I love the stand - looks fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

In order to check the measurements I cut a piece of OSB the size of the interior of the oven and you can see it's going to be a tight fit. I will however be able to get 2" of insulation around the oven at the bottom. I will use thermal blanket.

The surface wasn't completely level so I poured a thin layer of cement-based leveling compound on it. Probably overkill but I would rather start as level as possible.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Here is a picture of my base so far. I can attach picture of the build to get to this point but I did nothing special that has not been done by all the other oven builders on this site!

As I said, I modifed the design to accomodate a 32" Pompeii (originally was going to build a Barrel/Vault)

Next step is to pour a bit of leveling compound on the slightly rough concrete surface, then put down 3" of CalSil Board, then start building the oven!
    Last edited by boerwarrior; 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Thanks David!

I will probably use a double walled flue because I need some height to get the smoke out of the garden - so I will plan on a rectangular to circular transition and ensure that the rectangular opening is larger in cross section

Leave a comment:

Working...
X