• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

boer,

Congrats, be sure to email FB via web support page for your pizza cutter. Be persistent and you will get the cutter............

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

This is my post number #250 where I graduate from being an apprentice! Yay!

In 2 weeks I will have my biggest pizza party so far - for my local bike club. I expect to cook around 50 pizza's over several hours so I will start firing well in advance in order to fully saturate the oven. I will also keep some small fires going on the sides in order to keep as much heat as possible in the oven! Wish me luck!

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Glad t hear your party went well, Neil.

I have had a couple of smaller gatherings and it has been a lot of fun. Everyone loves the pizza and they have been fascinated by the oven.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Labor Day Pizza Party...

went very well! We had 21 guests and cooked around 19 pizza's (I lost count!)

I started the fire at 3.00pm and we started cooking at around 6.30pm. For the last hour or so before cooking I stopped adding wood, pushed the coals to the sides, and let the temperature stabilize.

The oven was a little too hot for the first 2 pizzas. Pizzas 3-16 were perfect! Then the last few pizzas began to take a little longer to cook - but were still great!

In Mid-October we are having an even bigger party and I am going to try and cook about 50 pizzas. I will start the fire early and make sure my oven is well saturated with heat - and I will keep a lot of small pieces of oak at the ready to keep some small fires going at the sides and back.... Hope this will be enough to cook that many!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Thanks K79! It's great to read everything on the forum and then see it all come to fruition eventually!

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Is that awesome!! Good job.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Six days after firing and the interior temperature is still 165 degrees!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DOOR MAKES!

I finally got around to building a door. I used two pieces of 16 gauge steel front and back, and then some 1 1/2 inch wide steel channel for the sides and floor. For the top piece I used a flat 1 1/2 inch bar that I curved to fit. Inside I put a piece of 1 1/2 inch ceramic fiber board that I had left over from the floor of my oven. My plan was to weld the whole thing closed - but I started using stainless steel sheet metal screws to "tack" it together - and found that they worked so well I may simply keep the screws. I used high temperature caulk to seals the cracks so that none of the insulation will leak out.

After cooking last night I put this door on. This morning, 13 hours later, the temperature of the walls and floor were still 550 degrees! Wow! Without the door I was down to 250 degrees after 12 hours.

Also the insulation in the door seems to work well - I can easily lift the door out with the handles without using gloves. The temperature of the front of the door is about 140 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    I am tired now and I think I am going to take a break from building things for a while (that will probably last about a month) and enjoy some pizza parties. I have a long list of people I need to invite over!
    You and me both !! Wife is already planning a flagstone walk around the house to the patio haha.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Thanks K79!

yes it does! you and I tracked each other pretty well there for a while - nice job!

I am tired now and I think I am going to take a break from building things for a while (that will probably last about a month) and enjoy some pizza parties. I have a long list of people I need to invite over!

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

very nice patio !! Nice when it all comes together isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Thanks Les and Stonecutter

yes, it was wet set - so will definitely wait. I will look up the "Miracle" product.

But wine and olive oil sound good too!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Miracle makes a very good sealer and is reasonably priced. It looks like the stone was wet set, so you should wait at least a week before you seal it.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 07-01-2013, 04:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post

Any recommendations on a good sealer?

Neil
    Spill a lot of wine and olive oil. You did a fantastic job - looks awesome!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

We had our first mini-pizza party on Saturday and it was a success! I heated the oven a bit more slowly than I have been doing and I got the top of the dome stabilized at about 950 degrees. The first pizza cooked too quickly but the remaining 5 were great. Very happy!

Then today I finally finished the flagstone patio in front of the oven. A bit of a challenge given that the temperatures this weekend were around 102 midday. (I know it was far worse for those of you in the southwest!) I also completed paving a separate area of the same flagstone in case you are wondering what the second picture is! Still need to pressure-wash and seal.

Any recommendations on a good sealer?

Neil

Leave a comment:

Working...
X