Waterproofing Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waterproofing Dome

Are you saying to have a permanent vent or a temporary vent till the stucco dries?

We all know that stucco is not water proof, so i was thinking of adding/painting the stucco after the stucco is dry. Keep in mind i wont have Vcrete just insulation rolls.

Originally posted by david s View Post
    I don't really agree with you because one of the problems with creating a waterproof skin is that it is not permeable. Acrylic coatings do not breathe like a lime coating can and they run into problems if there is significant moisture behind them just like acrylic paint on a wall ie. blistering. That is why it is essential to dry the oven out thoroughly before applying it (say 10 decent cooking fires). Any subsequent moisture build up can then be dealt with by a vent.
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
      Are you saying to have a permanent vent or a temporary vent till the stucco dries?

We all know that stucco is not water proof, so i was thinking of adding/painting the stucco after the stucco is dry. Keep in mind i wont have Vcrete just insulation rolls.
      If you seal or waterproof to the extent that it can't breathe, I feel that a permanent vent is necessary. Granted, the interior of an oven is not sealed and will be an escape route for moisture with several firings. But, I think that a vent at the apex is good insurance for present and/or future moisture issues. IMO the vent can be a a removable plug, gooseneck, or a covered vent. It can just be one more avenue for steam to escape

Just Sayin.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        If you seal or waterproof to the extent that it can't breathe, I feel that a permanent vent is necessary. Granted, the interior of an oven is not sealed and will be an escape route for moisture with several firings. But, I think that a vent at the apex is good insurance for present and/or future moisture issues. IMO the vent can be a a removable plug, gooseneck, or a covered vent. It can just be one more avenue for steam to escape

Just Sayin.

Hmmm, then if that's the case one must get pretty creative with that vent if its being left permanently, you know make it at least look nice, i know you put a soda can on yours. In that case it may even be a better idea to not even waterproof. Heck we barely get rain in CA.

Comment

Hmmm, then if that's the case one must get pretty creative with that vent if its being left permanently, you know make it at least look nice, i know you put a soda can on yours. In that case it may even be a better idea to not even waterproof. Heck we barely get rain in CA.
          Different worlds, different solutions. But all ideas are worth investigating to fit your circumstance. I rarely drink soda, but the beer can was just to form a channel for the steam to escape the vcrete and render . The vent cover will not be a beer can, though.
          Last edited by Gulf; 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

There are two schools of thought on waterproofing the dome because stopping water entering can also trap it in. We live in the tropics and can have a few months of torrential rain. Consequently I've opted to waterproof, but incorporated a vent that surrounds my flue. The vent can communicate with the insulation layer and help to remove moisture and also relieve steam pressure build up. Remember that when the dome is heated from the inside any water trapped in the oven will move away from the heat source i.e. outwards.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Can someone post a pic of this vent in question. Almost seems like its not even worth waterproofing(in my case)

Comment

my vent is incorporated in the support for the flue pipe. Moisture can escape between the two terra cotta caps.
                Last edited by david s; 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the pic. Thats a nice little oven.

Comment

V-Wiz,
                    I like the way David treated the vent issue. It has been done several other ways. Neil2 used a decorative plate as rain cover for the vent hole. CobblerDave used a brass insert with a removable plug. I am incorporating a filter/breather cap used for industrial gear boxes. I will have to decorate mine in some way to allow it to blend in. UtahBeehiver is on the road to installing a vent as well. There is no telling what Russell will come up with to decorate his .

Here is what mine looks like at the moment.

The vent that I have is a 1" threaded vent with a 4" X 3" filter cap. They can be found in smaller sizes. I am pretty sure that the one I looked at the other day is a 1/2" threaded vent with 2" X 1 and 1/2" filter cap.

This one is placed in a 2" to 1" threaded bushing. I will not permanently attach it until I apply the split brick to the dome.

I think that a vent can be installed in a way that it can be removed and plugged inconspicuously. It can be left in place until the end of the curing process. I'll probably leave mine in place though. Our wet season is year round .

Comment

Thank you for the picture. I think for now i wont do anything. In the future if i decide to do it i can drill a hole at the top. We shall see

Comment

Thank you for the picture. I think for now i wont do anything. In the future if i decide to do it i can drill a hole at the top. We shall see
                        I can respect that decision. In your case: where you have a pre-cured dome, no v/pecrete insulation to cure, and also living in an arid climate.

Comment

Exactly. Honestly i didnt know the vent idea was permanent.

Comment

Exactly. Honestly i didnt know the vent idea was permanent.
                            For my build, it will probably be permanent. Living in a sub tropical climate, who knows . Only time and experience will tell. But, I always try to err on the side of having it and not needing, than needing it and not having it .

Comment

Gulf,
                              I like your particular vent.

Its not tropical here but I think it has its merits (particularly as weather in all parts of the world are becoming more unpredictable) and it could easily be capped off and painted over if not needed anyway.
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                              X