Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally Finished.....well almost. stone veneer help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Finished.....well almost. stone veneer help!

Well, after 2 years my oven is built!
    Now enclosing it, i have built an enclosure from steel studs and Wonderboard (concrete board) and put a traditional roof on it.

My question is this.....Lowes, carries a product called Air Soft (stone veneer) that is applied with Loctite Construction adhesive.

Loctite says to install direct to the concrete board and the adhesive is good up to 160 degrees. Does anyone know if i need to waterproof the Wonderboard first or can i just apply the stone direct to the board? im concerned about waterproofing, but not sure if its necessary.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Ed

Re: Finally Finished.....well almost. stone veneer help!

Originally posted by Eddie4 View Post
    Now enclosing it, i have built an enclosure from steel studs and Wonderboard (concrete board) and put a traditional roof on it.

My question is this.....Lowes, carries a product called Air Soft (stone veneer) that is applied with Loctite Construction adhesive.

Loctite says to install direct to the concrete board and the adhesive is good up to 160 degrees. Does anyone know if i need to waterproof the Wonderboard first or can i just apply the stone direct to the board? im concerned about waterproofing, but not sure if its necessary.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Ed
    I would not seal the Wonderboard - I think it will affect the bond of the Loctite. Are you going to mortar any joints - or is this a mortarless application? If you're going to mortar your joints - you're good to go (and can seal those if you want). If not - and you're worried about water getting behind the stone / tiles - you could always fill the caps with a colored silicone mortar to match.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie4 View Post

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
      Ed
      Roughly what did the metal studs, concrete board, and roof cost you if you don't mind me asking? Any photos?
      Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

K79, not that much, studs were around $2 a piece and I needed like 10 of them.
        Board was fairly cheap too. i think im in for around $100-$150 to get the frame up and boarded up, i used some plywood i had lying a around for the roof

Comment

Thanks for the advice, the product looks like drystacking when done. so really no joints that show. check out the link: Airstone - YouTube

if there was a small amount of moisture that penetrated the wall, do you think it would really affect that much anyway?

Comment

You will to make sure that the unit is fully adhered to the board...it shouldn't have any voids behind it. A dry laid look with an adhered veneer isn't a good exterior finish in freeze/thaw zones anyway...you might want to reconsider what you are doing. A 'stone' veneer with a mortar joint would be a better solution.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
            X