replied
    По теме разго&

Интересное замечание.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Re: looking for opinions/ideas for space please comment

I agree wtih Marc and Jim. Go for it.

I recognize that layout. It's looking good.
    James

Leave a comment:

• maver
    replied

Originally posted by widespreadpizza View Post
    ...I did already build the stand and set the concrete. everything seems fine and VERY solid.. since all the weight is coming down on this stand I am not worried if the concrete is not 100% of its full strengh, although it seems that it is. next step is the insulating hearth...
    THANKS AGAIN -marc
    Marc, that looks great! Go ahead and pour your insulating hearth. Structurally that's the one where you want a good cure as your concrete block is loaded vertically. But even for the insulating hearth you are good to start building on top after a few days.

Marc

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

WSP,

As long as the wet mortar did not freeze at any point, you should be fine. I'd put a space heater in the room, though, just to be safe for the next pour. It really takes 26 days for concrete to cure fully, but for what you're doing it should be fine now.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• widespreadpizza
    replied

Had a question for you all, I live up here in the great northeast where its been 5oish daytime, 30ish nighttime. the room this oven is going in has been averaging about 45-50 degrees and is ot heated. I did already build the stand and set the concrete. everything seems fine and VERY solid.. since all the weight is coming down on this stand I am not worried if the concrete is not 100% of its full strengh, although it seems that it is. next step is the insulating hearth. Should i be super worried aboutthe 45-50degree ambient room temp for curing? I get differing opinions on the web, but the last thing I want to do is have the hearth be too weak. Anyone with experience or knowledge on this matter please chime in. THANKS AGAIN -marc

Leave a comment:

• widespreadpizza
    replied

Hello all, quick question for you, can anyone point me in the direction of some plan or pictures that show a stand for a corner oven? I cant find any and am not liking the way my layout is and want to be sure that I do it right the first time. thanksagain -marc

Leave a comment:

• redbricknick
    replied

stuff em' full of cement bags.. or trash, or a time capsule, or whatever you have lying around that you dont want anymore.. I filled mine with a "dirty batch of rubble and dust, mixed with portland cement and water.. Seems like you have your fair share of rubble floating around your site.. Use that.. Saves you hauling it to a landfill..

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Well, at least I made the right guess on that one. There are a couple of recommendations on the block cores in the plans (crumpled paper), so you are on your way.
    James

Leave a comment:

• widespreadpizza
    replied

Hey there James, I guess I forgot to mention that if you look in the thumbnail I attached, my buddy and i removed the chimney earlier this week so right now I am just focusing on the block stand. I jsut want to make sure it is stable enough, and am still wondering what to do with the ooen holes that are not filled with concrete. thanks a lot -marc

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Hey Marc,
    I am having trouble picturing how you are doing to put the chimney to good use. You would have to route the the chimney for the vent at the front of the oven to the existing chimney opening. I would guess it is about 5' high, which would put a serious backward angle in the chimney as it ran backward, across the length of the oven. Your chimney would go also straight back, the at a 90? angle up -- which gives me some concerns about how well it will draw.

Also, the exsiting chimney sticks out, and might get in the way of the back left corner of the oven dome.

What does everyone else think?

How large is your footprint? That will determine how large of an oven you can fit it. There are 4 drawings in the oven plans that show a corner layout for various size ovens. Those should help.

Here is a photo of my corner oven -- it might help you picture it.
    James

Leave a comment:

• widespreadpizza
    replied

Hey guys, looking for another opinion, big suprise huh! here is what Im proposing for the layout of my oven base. I have decided on a 36" oven and thinking that this would be the best pattern for it. this allows the base to get right up next to the existing rocks and firewall. this way, I can favor the dome towards the back and use the loose insulation between the dome and the rocks. will it be a problem to have these triangular gaps at the intersections or can I just put a form up and fill the areas(3) with concrete when I fill the other holes? also, using the dry stack technique and filling the every other hole, how do you block the concrete from going down the empty holes when pouring the hearth floor. fire away and thanks a lot! I cant believe I am finally doing this! -marc

Leave a comment:

• maver
    replied

If you have room it makes sense to pipe the vent into it to avoid worrying about the stability of the column of chimney above that room. Just be very careful about compliance with fire codes (angles of the oven vent to the chimney, etc... ). That space looks bigger with the wood stove out but it still looks to me like a squeeze. What footprint are you allowing for the oven, insulation and enclosure? Are you planning a 36" dome?

Leave a comment:

• widespreadpizza
    replied

SO , I am looking for opinions for this portion. Decided to rip out the hearth, and undecorate the chimney. What fun so far! There is going to be plenty of room for the oven and stand, as I have drawn everything to scale and made sure before the madness started. Assuming the mouth of the oven will be at a 45 degree angle out of the corner, faced evenly into the room, does it make any since to try to work around the chimney, and try to pipe the vent into it. At this point there has been a lot of discussion about removing it before moving ahead, and doing the venting as if it was in an area, that did not have a chimney near it. whadda ya folks think and thanks again. if the chimney is coming down, it will happen early next week.

Leave a comment:

• widespreadpizza
    replied

thanks for the help you guys, I am currently working on a drawing with google sketch up and things are looking quite possible. when i am done with it , I will post it up here for you guys take a look at thanks -marc

Leave a comment:

• maver
    replied

David has nicely addressed the use of your existing chimney, but I'm still concerned about the size of your oven within that space. It looks like the short stone covered wall is 3-4 feet. Your doorway is going to be occluded by the oven. Can you move the doorway over (or is it a double door you can convert to a single panel door)?

You have flexibility with the hearth height, although for most people the height is 40.5" at the top of the hearth bricks, plus the vent opening. For my 18" high oven the vent opening is roughly 13" giving a vent height of 53.5". Depending on your oven design, this could be lower. You could build a lower hearth stand (better if you are on the short side, there are useability issues if you get too low), or use firebrick splits in the floor (this might be too much of a tradeoff in losing heat retention), or build lower dome as some have posted here recently.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X