• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnt
    replied
    Re: Stand Dimensions for 42 in Oven

Hi Chris,

That makes more sense and I think I will try and do the same with the enclosure instead of dome, but I still don't quite get the math. If you had a 65 in stand, but your materials add up to 67, does that mean you placed the studs surrounding the spots where the dome meets the stand at it's closest point so you might have a couple less inches of insulation at that point? Also, if you stand was 65 inches wide, how did you get that number if you used 8x8x16 blocks.

Thanks so much,
    John

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied
    Re: Stand Dimensions for 42 in Oven

John, if your vision is to enclose the oven with an oven house then going bigger on the size of the stand is less important than if you want an igloo. I went with an enclosing house to get the advantage of additional insulation and I wasn't completely comfortable with waterproofing a free standing igloo without some roof structure overhead. What needs to be calculated in to get your minimum stand are;

The oven floor diameter, plus the thickness of the brick in the dome times 2, plus the thickness of the insulation times 2, plus the thickness of the containing wall structure that will sit on the stand times 2.

So I have a 42 inch oven with 4.5 inch thick brick walls covered by 4 inches of insulation and the walls of the oven house are 4 inches.

42+(4.5*2)+(4*2)+(4*2)= 42+9+8+8 = 67 inches.

The steel stud structure, the exterior walls of the oven house, can be used to contain insulation, and I did this, so I was able to stay within the 65". You just need to be a bit careful about where the studs are placed in the walls so you have the space for the insulation. The front to back dimension is the width plus whatever you add in terms of the oven entry and landing.

That's how I did it, cutting concrete blocks wasn't needed in my case.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• johnt
    started a topic Stand Dimensions for 42 in Oven

Stand Dimensions for 42 in Oven

Hello,
    I'm trying to calculate how big my form and stand should be. I have the chart on the downloaded oven plans v 2.0, but I see if I just follow the recommended width of the stand for example, it has it being 65 inches. Should I assume that the extra inch from what might be 4 8x8x16 blocks down to spacing in between the blocks? The depth recommended is 78 in, but I can't figure out how to get that easily without cutting blocks. Should I be scared of cutting blocks or just make my stand bigger so I don't have to make cuts?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    John
Working...
X