Walled Enclosure Bottom Plate Attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walled Enclosure Bottom Plate Attachment

Hello, I just poured my structural concrete hearth and vermiculite insulating layer (6:1) and after a week of curing are a little concerned about the vermiculite concrete having the ability to accept and hold a concrete screw for attaching the metal stud bottom plate. The vermiculite, as everyone knows, is definitely not structural and has flaky characteristics on the edges, so I was wondering if anyone has used really long concrete screws to go through the vermiculite layer and into the structural-layer concrete underneath to hold down the walls? In hindsight I should've cast hold-down bolts in the structural concrete layer before pouring the vermiculite layer.
    Thanks in advance and cheers!

Re: Walled Enclosure Bottom Plate Attachment

Cut/trim the vcrete away to reveal just what you need to attach the metal bottom plates to your structural slab. Vcrete is fairly easy to cut/sculpt. The sooner that you drill and attach the anchors into the new slab, the better. There should be no reason that the studs should be separated from the slab by insulation. That is "if" I understood the question correctly? And, that you are following close to someones' build that have enclosed their dome .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Essentially cutting out the width of a stud around the perimeter down to the structural? Makes sense. Thanks!

Comment

You should consider a capillary break between the slab and sill.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

I didn't notice that you are framing with metal. Still, you will benefit from sill dealer because metal to concrete created a condensation point for moisture in the air or migrating from the slab
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks. Foam seal tape should suffice, minimizing future moisture on the inside of the walled enclosure. No?

Comment

Forms just stripped. See attached.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmavrick View Post
                Thanks. Foam seal tape should suffice, minimizing future moisture on the inside of the walled enclosure. No?
                We'll, the tape should be between the sill plate( or any place metal framing touches concrete and the concrete slab. It will prevent condensation of any moisture migrating through the concrete. It's more precautionary than necessary..but it's cheap insurance..
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                X