Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Originally posted by daddyd View Post
    Where did you get your insulation board?
    The top layer is from Forno Bravo, the remainder is from McGill's Warehouse. Both were ordered online. The products are pretty similar, but I think the board from McGill's is a bit less dense and it didn't seem as hard as the FB board. Many have successfully used the FB board so I put that on top to minimize the chance of compression issues with the softer (my opinion) board.
    John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

A few pics of last week's progress.
      John

Comment

Hi.
        It looks like from the pics that the arch is too far forwards, you will have trouble when you get to cutting in over the top of it, if it is....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Hi.
          It looks like from the pics that the arch is too far forwards, you will have trouble when you get to cutting in over the top of it, if it is....
          Hi Brickie,
          You've got a pretty good eye. I had sort of set up the arch dry a couple of days ago and I think it is a bit forward and it may pose some challenges, but from what I could tell it shouldn't be too bad (keeping in mind that having never laid a brick before my 'shouldn't be too bad' is probably on a whole different scale than yours )
          John

Comment

I've been making steady progress. Here are some 'catch up' pics from last week.
            John

Comment

This weekend I was able to complete a couple of courses and finish tying in the arch. It was a bit tricky cutting in over the arch, but not too bad. I was able to pretty much maintain a level course, and it is within a quarter inch of round. Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress so far.
              The overhead shot isn't quite wide enough to get everything in but I was reaching up as high as I could under the canopy with my phone to take the picture.
              John

Comment

Dome work looks very nice.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell,
                  I followed your build closely and learned a lot from you. I'm using a jig remarkably similar to yours!
                  John

Comment

Nice work John.

When you back cut your arch bricks to accept the dome bricks were they the same or did you increase the angle toward the top?

thanks-
                    C-dad

Comment

Very nice work!! Excellent arch work, though I am partial to that since its what I did.
                      Eric

Comment

Great job, John! You are working fast!

Neil

My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html

Comment

Originally posted by Calisdad View Post
                          Nice work John.

When you back cut your arch bricks to accept the dome bricks were they the same or did you increase the angle toward the top?

thanks-
                          C-dad
                          Hi C-dad,
                          Each brick was cut as I went up and the angle did increase somewhat.
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
                            Great job, John! You are working fast!

Neil

My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html
                            Thanks Neil.

It is moving along well. However, after I started the stand last fall I sort of committed to an unrealistic completion date , so being unable to work on the oven outside, I basically built it dry in my workshop. I understood it was risky because every anomaly in construction could mess things up but I also knew that my spring/early summer schedule was so busy and that if I didn't get a lot of work done before hand there was no way to get it done in time. No doubt, the countless hours that I spent over the winter combined with actual construction time will far exceed the amount of time many builders put in when doing it once.
                            John

Comment

That really is a nice build. I did snap headers and probably will do precision cuts on my next build, as they look really nice. It's a shame you have to cover that work up with insulation.

Have you started drooling for pizza yet? When I got that far, all I could think of was getting it finished and making some pies.

Comment

Originally posted by fabby View Post
                                That really is a nice build. I did snap headers and probably will do precision cuts on my next build, as they look really nice. It's a shame you have to cover that work up with insulation.

Have you started drooling for pizza yet? When I got that far, all I could think of was getting it finished and making some pies.
                                Thanks Fabby!
                                Well at least I (and you guys on the forum) will know what it looks like under the insulation! And yes, I am getting very anxious for pizza
                                Last edited by jbruning; 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X