42 inch Michigan Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 inch Michigan Oven

Been lurking around the forum off and on for a long time and finally was able to begin construction on an oven last fall. I was able to get the stand and hearth slab complete before the weather turned. The weather got nice enough about a month ago to start up again and I've been plugging away when I can but haven't had any time to post. I'll try figure out how to post photos and catch up now.
    John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Here are a few pictures of the stand construction.
    John

Comment

I generally have a tendency to overbuild so there is plenty of steel in the hearth slab, but I had it and figured it wouldn't hurt to put it in.

I wasn't and am still not sure how the opening will end up so rather than span it with the top course of blocks and relieve them for the metal, I embedded a couple of angles into the hearth slab over the opening.
      John

Comment

Here is the hearth slab after the forms were removed....and the hearth and stand during the 'off season'.
        John

Comment

I have to express my appreciation to the forum for the wealth of information in these threads. I have learned a lot from you and have incorporated many of the ideas and approaches into my own build. The knowledge and innovation that has been shared on this forum has been immensely helpful!
          John

Comment

Nice build so far.
            I love looking at snow, from a very great distance.

Too late for your slab but for anyone else looking the angles actually create a weak spot as they form a straight line in the concrete much like a cut expansion joint.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That is something I hadn't thought about. The slab ended up about 6 inches thick so there is about 4 inches above the angles. Hopefully it won't be an issue. Not having any experience with suspended concrete, I had hoped the steel would ensure plenty of support....novice thinking I suppose
              John

Comment

Brickie is right as usual,
                Supporting the blocks until they are set would have been better. A monolithic pour over the wood storage gap would be even stronger. But, as many have suggested the original plans are over engineered, so you will be OK .
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf (and Brickie). I was probably a bit rushed as I hurried to get the stand done before freezing weather, though unless I had posted my plans before building the stand, I probably would have still not thought of the potential weakness. A monolithic pour was considered briefly but I wasn't sure what I wanted to end up with and for a variety of reasons, didn't have the time to thoroughly think through things.
                  John

Comment

Hearth insulation pics.
                    John

Comment

I got the dome floor completed and the template and IT in place a few weeks ago and started to lay the bricks around May 20. Here are a few pics of the first couple of courses. The challenge of this project is enjoyable and it is amazing how much there is to learn when you have only 'virtual experience' from absorbing as much knowledge as possible from this site. Even so, there are plenty of opportunities (read mistakes) for learning as one works on the build. It is evident how clear hindsight is!
                      John

Comment

Are your walls on top of floor or cut to fit inside?
                        what did you use under you ceramic board as a leveler?
                        Are you using cement wedges betweed bricks or cement only?

Looks awsome my stand is ready i am starting mine this coming weekend

also up to what row can you just cut angles and no bevels??

Comment

Hi Gianluca,
                          I am by no means an expert on any of this but have learned a fair amount from others on the forum and my oven seems to be coming together ok. Regarding your questions:

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
                          Are your walls on top of floor or cut to fit inside? On top of the floor.

what did you use under you ceramic board as a leveler?
                          The boards sit on the concrete hearth, but I used a sand/fireclay mixture in a couple spots between the layers of board and on top beneath the floor bricks to correct some unevenness of the boards themselves. The bottom layer of insulation sat pretty well on the hearth so I didn't use any there. I did run a bead of silicone caulk around the base of the bottom insulation layer to help prevent the possibility of water migrating between the hearth and insulation.

Are you using cement wedges betweed bricks or cement only? So far only mortar - I am using Heatstop 50. I am using pieces of wood as temporary spacers at the outside edge of the bricks to help with the angle.

Looks awsome my stand is ready i am starting mine this coming weekend

Thanks! Looking forward to following your build!

also up to what row can you just cut angles and no bevels??
                          I did not bevel the first course but have beveled the courses above. I built a jig similar to others but mostly like Utahbeehiver's shown in post 90 of his thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/f...tah-17761.html
                          That post also mentions a spreadsheet which you might find helpful.
                          Last edited by jbruning; 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM. Reason: correct post number for cutting jig
                          John

Comment

Where did you get your insulation board?

Comment

i just got it in i orderd it from Skyline Components, LLC. there in arizona i received it in 5 days ups i live in ct. $111.00 for shipping 4 -2" boards and 50 sq'roll of 1" thick blanket, a few other people recomended them the owner was really nice prompt shipping i would def recomend to a friend

Comment

Working...
                              X