Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Originally posted by Cyungle View Post
    Beautiful work! Are you planning on replacing the temporary enclosure with something permanent when all work is completed or leave it uncovered? That is a question I have not answered about mine but I'm in Arizona where we don't get a lot of rain.
    Hi Cyungle,
    Thanks! The temporary is slowly becoming the permanent structure. I was really pressed for time and there was rain in the forecast so I had to get something up fast since I had to remove the plastic awning as I started to cure. So, I framed the walls but only had a couple of studs and still only have a few trusses installed. I have since added the remaining studs and framed the gables but actually have to take the roof off to complete the installation of the remaining trusses and frame the chimney chase. That will take some time and I have to wait until my schedule and a reasonable forecast align to do so. I hate 'undoing' work, but really didn't have any options at the time. As it was I got the tar paper on just before dark and it rained early the next morning so it was just in the nick of time.

I am not confident in being able to keep moisture out of the oven and insulation with an igloo enclosure and prefer the look of the 'house' so I had planned on this type all along.
    John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Hello john can you tell me how many layers of blanket do you have on you oven

Comment

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
        Hello john can you tell me how many layers of blanket do you have on you oven
        Hi Gianluca,
        At least 4, a little more on top. I got a reasonable price and my experience with insulation in this cold climate is more is better as a general rule. I want to be able to get as much residual heat cooking as I can and plan to use it during the winter. However, I am not sure if I am going to use any vermiculite in addition to the blanket.
        John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Like any project...the finishing is the worst part. We are motivated to get the dome done and start cooking....making it waterproof is no frills. But your looking great. Keep after it...these things are a lot more fun admiring them while eating the best pizza ever....

Comment

Very well done! I love reading and seeing progress like yours. Im about to start my Dome and learned a few things from your thread. Impressive Mock-up!
            You should move down here to Texas where we have no (very little) snow and somewhat predictable rain!
            My build documentary page:
            https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Working...
            X