Mortar problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortar problem

So I was concerned about my home brew. I laid about 15 bricks and then stopped. A few days later I checked them and they seemed okay, strong and didn't move. I tripped the other day when I was setting up to do some work and grabbed the top row to break my fall. I felt the bricks move. They are all still in the correct position but I can tell 3 mortar joints let go out of the 15 or so bricks. So there is basically 3 sets of bricks stuck together. I plan on going over the entire outside of the oven like others with some extra home brew.
    So the question is do I need to rip out the old and start over or can I touch up those joints/bricks and skim the outside of all the bricks?

Your thoughts, comments and expertise are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Mortar problem

It doesn't seem like it would be a lot of trouble to remove a few brick and reset them...the would be the best thing to do.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Do I replace them all or do I just clean up the joints that broke and re mortar them? Just trying to get some feedback since I should have some time tomorrow to work on it. Thanks!

Comment

No need to redo ones that are still bonded.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
        X