broschb 36" in utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broschb 36" in utah

Well i have been lurking on the forum for a while, and started my build. I have learned a lot, and have a lot to learn. I really enjoy seeing what everyone else has accomplished and have great respect for all the craftsmanship after starting my own build.

I figured it was time to post some pictures of my build, definitely not as pretty as others, and i'm sure i have made some mistakes, so if anyone has any recommendations(if it's not too late) they will be greatly considered.

thanks to all for making this a great community!

And now some pics, in no order, full album can be found here

Re: broschb 36" in utah

And a few more images

Comment

I'm certainly not an expert but looks like a great start! I have an oven kit I'm hoping to start soon, how do you plan to finish the outside, igloo with stucco or something else? I'm still undecided at this point.

Comment

Dave,

Looks like you are well in a way into your build. The outdoor set looks like it will be nice. Just a couple observations. I do not see any release (shims) on the inner arch form. Try not to destroy the arch form when you remove. It may be difficult to take out and not damage the arch. It can be used later for a template for you door. Due to the inner arch design, you probably need to consider some type of buttressing just do a search on the forum and you will find myriads of discussion on this issue. BTW, where in Ut are you, I am in SLC in the Aves. Keep sending pics. There is another builder, Dr. Masuess who is just starting a new build as well so he can use any pics you may have of your progress as well. Good luck!
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

@dave, I am going to build an enclosure on around the oven, I will then stucco/brick finish the enclosure.

@utah, Thanks for the tip on buttressing. I actually realized the form may cause problems and before building the arch cut and shimmed it, just can't see it in the newer pictures. I am in West Jordan Ut.

Comment

Nice work so far - looking forward to updates. Never been to West Jordan but I have tons of family in Provo. I'll bet your WFO will look festive covered with snow!

Comment

I look at your pic album and see your brick shims so your good. I think Dr. masuess is somewhere in So. Jordan. PS sorry abt the name mixup calling ya Dave. Build is coming along nice.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looking good. Tip for you - When you get to your outer arch, somewhere in the interwebs there is a little program for axed arches that will help you calculate the size and count of your voissuers (aka tapered bricks) so that they all come out even and the arch meets where you want. I think it comes with a tool you buy at HD (think it is the Angleizer?) - but you can also just download it. Hopefully someone here will have a link, I looked and couldn't come up with it.

edit: here it is, linked through the forum with some screenshots
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...are-17942.html

I used this for the arch over my wood storage area and it was invaluable. Came out perfect!
                Last edited by deejayoh; 07-20-2013, 10:12 AM.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

looking good!!

Comment

So it's been a while since i posted any progress and progress has been made. I have completed the oven, and actually did my 5th day of firing tonight, more on that later.

I have attached some pics of the build progress, things went well, other than the fact I can't make a proper arch even using the tool recommended by deejoyoh. I am working on the enclosure framing is just about done, then i will put cement board and a stucco finish on the oven.

I re-enforced the arches using some angle bracket as recommended by Utah, following example of others on the forum.

All the firing went well, tonight however I think i got a little ambitious, The oven didn't want to seem to get to 400, so i put in some more wood and suddenly the oven just took off burning wood, more so than any other night, the oven temps got to around 600-650, probably a little hotter at the top of the dome, and it was breathing fire, so definitely hotter than i wanted tonight, i'll check the dome tomorrow, so far no cracks in the dome. However tonight while watching the fires, i notices a small crack in the outer arch, and after things tamed down it looked like the following:

Is this something to be concerned about? If so any thoughts on approaches to take to remedy it? As far as aesthetics i'm not concerned as I will be doing a decorative arch(3rd attempt for a decent arch) on the outside.

I think thats all my remarks from the last few weeks progress, and now some pics

first fire

Comment

Couple more pics of the fire breather

Comment

I believe the crack in your arch has appeared because of no buttressing of the flue arch, You should add some support to the arch to prevent further damage.

It seems that you have plenty of space for a brick or metal buttress because of your house around the oven.

I see you are using a tile flue and when you add the extensions that will add even more stress on the arch.
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 08-07-2013, 04:56 AM.
                        Chip

Comment

Congrats on the completion of the dome. That outer crack I think happen from the angle cut on the bricks I noticed that you didn't fill the joints on the bottom portion I would do that ASAP and leave it that will help the arch weight. Otherwise the enclosure is looking good tall pitch on the roof.

Comment

I did put some angle brackets(2 on each side) to use as buttressing, but i'm thinking i can pull those off and build up some brick buttressing, and that will be much better. The funny thing for some reason that didn't cross my mind earlier, the things you learn as you go

I am concerned about the weight of the clay flues going up, so I think the brick buttressing will provide much better support, as far as the crack goes, assuming i get some more solid buttressing in place, is this something to be concerned about?

Comment

Originally posted by broschb View Post
                              I did put some angle brackets(2 on each side) to use as buttressing, but i'm thinking i can pull those off and build up some brick buttressing, and that will be much better. The funny thing for some reason that didn't cross my mind earlier, the things you learn as you go

I am concerned about the weight of the clay flues going up, so I think the brick buttressing will provide much better support, as far as the crack goes, assuming i get some more solid buttressing in place, is this something to be concerned about?
                              Let us see the angle brackets, they need to go at least 2/3 of the way up the sides and should have a 45 degree or some type of brace that prevents flexing. A common shelf bracket is not substantial enough for the forces you are dealing with, they bend to much.

As far as the arch bricks once reinforced they should hold but I did notice two of them are - one next to thecrack and one two to the right are inverse pie shapes with the wide side down or almost square. Not ideal shapes for an arch.
                              Last edited by mrchipster; 08-07-2013, 12:34 PM.
                              Chip

Comment

Working...
                              X