home brew in the hot sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home brew in the hot sun

I did a first test with my home brew, and it seems when I soaked the bricks, they didn't stick together (after a day) as well as when the bricks were dry. Should I still soak the bricks? I did the test when it was cooler, and it's been really hot here this week, so it seems the extra moisture would help it cure slower.

Also, can I dry premix a bucket of all the ingredients so I don't have to mix a batch every time? Or do I run the risk of getting moisture into the portland? (I had the clay and sand in my garage for a year, but they seem dry.)
    Here's mine:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Re: home brew in the hot sun

You.can dry mix all the ingredients except the Portland, which is best added fresh. That's what I do and it works well, but you have to calculate exactly how much to add for a given volume of premixed.i keep it in plastic bags in batch quantities.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You should not soak the bricks, ever. Under very dry and windy conditions, you should wet the brick, but at a maximum they need to be saturated surface dry, i.e. not so wet that the water forms a film on the surface.

Comment

I have just been mixing the hombrew as i need it, i just have a cup i use to quickly measure. I mix enough at a time to do 4-5 bricks. Has worked well so far. I have found that having the brick moist helps, but have laid some in the earlier courses dry. When they are dry they really pull the moisture out of the bricks. I usually just throw them in a wheelbarrow of water while i mix the brew, then pull them out and lay them, has worked well so far and all my bricks bond, and resist gravity

Comment

They are supposed to pull moisture out of the mortar, if they do not, it is an issue.

Comment

I just completed my build and for the whole project I mixed it each time with a coffee can as my cup also I kept all the ingredients in my cool dry basement no issues at all and it was a 100 degree at least every day of the build.

I dipped each brick in water for a second b4 I applied cement all my bricks stuck perfect even up to the last chain. My father taught me a mason's trick when you mix of your mortar and it sticks to the trowel that's a good consistancy

Comment

Working...
            X