Updated Materials List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Materials List

I have tried to consolidate the experiences of different builders in a more accurate and comprehensive Pompeii Oven materials list. You can find the online version here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_ov...ials_list.html

Also, this updated list is now in the PDF plans, which we are editing and will be releasing shortly.

Take a look. This would be a good time to get some feedback, as we can build changes into both the online and eBook plans.

Thanks!
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Updated Materials List

Hi, James,

I think the 4" x 8" flue tile is an error: The standard small flue tile in the US is 8" x 8". Also, I'd refer to it as a refractory flue tile, so builders aren't tempted to substitute clay drain tile that wouldn't stand the heat. I know that flues in Europe are round, but in this country, round tile means drain tile.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the input David. I will fix that now. In fact, it's done.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

David pointed out in a previous post that US firebricks are a different size to those available here, so I think it would be useful to specify the size on the Materials List page, which necessarily affects brick numbers.

Should the word 'firebrick' be hot-linked on both occasions, rather than just the first incidence of the word in each list (ie both floor and dome instead of just under floor)?

I like the terminology 'about xx full firebricks, cut in half' - this clears up any ambiguity, at least for me - thanks!

Not sure about the entries for rebar - is ?" rebar only available in 10 foot lengths over your way?

Otherwise, it looks great!

Comment

Hendo, good point about the firebrick update. I know it relieved my confusion as to the number of 'full' bricks needed, as I will be purchasing mine this week.

As for rebar, the readily available lenghts at our local Lowes or Home Depot are 4' (called stands), 10', and 16'. 1/2" is pretty much the 'standard' for most applications.
          I think the plans specify 10' lengths because that length is readily available as well as being somewhat manageable to transport home (if your not having your items delivered). The 4' (stands) would not be long enough for the slabs.

James, thanks for the Heatstop recommendation. I'll take the forums word that it is a suitable substitute for Refrax. Although my local dealers don't stock it, there are several others here in FL that I have not checked with...a little 'road trip' is no problem, neither is the cost. My motto is to overbuild and use the best materials available. I know several have posted they have no problem 'tearing it down and starting over'...my body says do it once, do it right, rest, and enjoy.

THANKS TO ALL, this sight is a true inspiration. In 6 weeks I have gone from thinking about it, finding this sight, and am now to the point of starting my floor and dome. Pictures to come.

Comment

Hi James,

I noticed in the materials list '80lb bag pre-mixed concrete', '80lb bags concrete', and '80lb bags ready-mix concrete'. I am new to masonry so are are these the same product or are your referring to 3 different types of concrete?

Thanks,
            Brian

Comment

"Concrete" typically refers to a mixture of portland cement, sand, and aggregate (crushed stone).

A bag of "concrete", by definition, should include all three of those things, "premixed" and "ready" to go, just add water. So, they're all basically the same. However, there are many different types of bagged concrete. Some will set up very fast. Some are high-strength, etc.

-Chris
              -Chris-
              I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
              Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

If you're completely new to masonry, I'd also point out that Concrete and Cement are not interchangeable words, although they are often used interchangeably by non-masons.

Cement is the glue that holds rocks and sand together to make concrete. Cement also holds sand together to make mortar.
                -Chris-
                I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
                Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                  THANKS TO ALL, this sight is a true inspiration. In 6 weeks I have gone from thinking about it, finding this sight, and am now to the point of starting my floor and dome. Pictures to come.
                  RT, your first pictures are great. Keep it up and keep the photos coming.

Chris has it right about concrete and cement. Portland cement (the binder) and sand and gravel (the aggregate) go through a chemical reaction when you add water to become concrete. The Romans even came up with Pozzolan, a cement that sets under water. Home Depot carries Portland cement (the pure binder), and various types of premixed concrete -- ranging from post hole concrete (low cement content and large, cheap aggregate), to standard ready-mix concrete (that you would use for the Pompeii Oven) to crack resistant concrete (concrete with glass fibers) and fast setting concrete (concrete with chemical hardeners).

One interesting note is that refractory mortar, such as RefMix and good refractory precast pizza ovens (not the clay ones) use binders and aggregates that are refractory. They don't just use calcium aluminate as the binder mixed with sand and gravel -- they have probably put more R&D into the aggregate side than the binder side. Just a side note.
                  James
                  Last edited by james; 04-07-2007, 01:21 AM.
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                  X