42" (1,067mm) UK build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" (1,067mm) UK build

Oddly I was only thinking last night that before starting the build, I shall scaffold around the base and work from a nice platform. With the top plates removed, I could then walk around all sides freely.

I'm all for making life easy

Comment

I did just that Eddie.
      Only my scaffold was a few hastily stacked bricks and some old half scaffold boards.
      Just that foot to eighteen inches off the ground makes quite a difference, but can't comment on whether a bit higher is better still.

I found that even with a winter of planning, many things will crop up, and also solutions pop into view as you build, that just hadn't even been thought of once you get going.

Really looking forward to your build, as you know!

Comment

Actually I was using the term scaffold quite loosely.

It will just be a few bandstands and youngmans boards.

I finished work early today, so managed to make a bit more progress. The shuttering is in, and I have sealed the whole lot in with bitumastic roofing paint. Oak and concrete don't go together very well, as I found out to my cost on a previous job. Any splashes of concrete stain green oak really badly and even oxalic acid won't remove them. I figured that the bitumastic paint should both act as a damp proof membrain to the oven, and also as a barrier to the oak.

Tomorrow is a screwed up day in respect of work, so time permitting I shall get the reinforcing mesh, ballast and cement, and in an ideal world, get it concreted.

Two layers of A142 reinforcing added, one third up and one third down, suspended from lockwire.

Last edited by EddiePJ; 08-09-2013, 02:26 AM.

Comment

The concrete is in.

Comment

how are you supporting the concrete between the timbers? is it a temporary plywood or something built into the timber frame? you are making really fast progress!
            Texman
            Texman Kitchen
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Working...
            X