42" (1,067mm) UK build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" (1,067mm) UK build

Someone on another wood fired forum has pointed me in this direction to get further ideas etc, and it's nice to see a few familiar names on here.

In truth I don't have time for this project, and it certainly wasn't on my 'to do' this year list, but life is way too short and I want to do something that I and others will get plenty of enjoyment from.

First the history lesson.

My interest in doing this project started many years ago whilst on hols in Belgium (don't laugh) This little frame was in the garden of the house that we rented, and it was also the frame which got me started in oak buildings as I thought that I could do better, so did.
    In many ways I still prefer this frame to anything that I have done, simply because it is so rustic and simple. Something that I'd love to be able to do, but can't as my brain has a massive conflict of interest when it comes to 'just function' over neatness. Sadly I'm too clinical in approach when it comes to my own builds, and this is a trait in me that I don't like.

I also loved the simple brick BBQ built to the side in the above photo, which will be on my next list of projects. On the same holiday but different location, I spotted this bread oven was hooked!

Onto my build.. This is the location for the oven, but initially I kept re thinking the actual oven position as the oak frame faces North West and cops any bad weather. It's also freezing to sit out in during the winter months.

Although I already had the sizes in my head for the proposed project, I decided that just for once that I would draw it up. I'm not overly keen on the imposing look of many bases, and being an oak framer by trade, I decided to try and come up with a different design for the base. It won't be without it's draw backs, but what's life without a challenge.

The footprint size of the frame is 72" x 72" (1,800mm x 1,800mm) and the measurement from ground level to top plate is also 72" (1,800mm).
    The roof shall be a 42.5 degree pitch with full hip ends to match the existing gazeboo and shall be finished with reclaimed clay nib tiles to match.
    Post section size is 8" x8" (200mm x 200mm )tapering down to 5" x5"(125mm x 125mm). The base horizontals are also 8"x8" (200mm x 200mm) and the top plates are 5"x5" (125mm x 125mm). Knee bracing is 5"x3" (125mm x 75mm) bolted on for ease and quickness. The top plates are to be secured with a 16mm stainless rod, which again is being constructed like this for ease and quickness.
    Last edited by EddiePJ; 08-06-2013, 11:09 AM.

Re: 42" (1,067mm) UK build

First job to be done, was to extend the existing BBQ area/gazebo
    Footings dug and concreted, dwarf wall built and oversite prepared. I couldn't bring my self to risk moving the clematis, so made a planting pocket around it.

Next up the concrete.

Paving finished, or so I thought!

Sadly I was wrong, as when I went to set the brick pads out, I realised that I had made a school boy error and whilst the frame would sit on the base, there wouldn't have been enough clearance to allow for the fitting of the rafter feet and guttering to the roof.

So once again more digging, concreting and brick laying.

Comment

And this reply brings progress up to date.

The base frame is all but done. I won't construct the roof until after the build, as I can see that it will cause hassle doing the oven the build. I shall also probably remove the top plate once the concrete raft has been constructed.
      In respect of the concrete pad/plinth/ I'm going to cast it in a slightly more unusual way to the one that everyone else seems to do. I've always had a weird interest in concrete, especially in structural situations, and intend to dome the underside of the shuttering slightly to give the base a stronger compressive strength. This will also allow me to slightly reduce the overall thickness of it. I shall also vibrate the wet concrete with a concrete poker, to ensure that all possible air is removed. It may seem a bit OTT, but I guess that is just me.

Last edited by EddiePJ; 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Beautiful mortise and tenon work.
        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
          Beautiful mortise and tenon work.
          Thank you very much.

I should have added these few photos I guess.

This is how the oak arrives to me.

And this is further detail of the joints.

I confess that I cheated with the top plates though and they are simply secured with a 16mm stainless rod/pin. I wouldn't normally have done this, but I was sadly running out of time.
          Last edited by EddiePJ; 08-06-2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Evening Eddie!

Comment

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
              Evening Eddie!
              Good evening Bd

My list of notes for the build is steadily increasing.
              Last edited by EddiePJ; 08-06-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Eddie,
                You sir, are a real craftsman. I personally, would not have the "stones" to place a 42" oven on a wooden stand . I think that voids the 3000 year warranty . Others have done similar though. So, I am looking forward to following your build.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

beautiful work! how close will that upper cross-member be to the oven opening?

Texman
                  Texman Kitchen
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Love the wood work
                    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

very nice timber work, looking forward to seeing the final product...........
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                        Eddie,
                        You sir, are a real craftsman. I personally, would not have the "stones" to place a 42" oven on a wooden stand. I think that voids the 3000 year warranty. Others have done similar though. So, I am looking forward to following your build.
                        3000 year warranty! Usually once I get in the van and leave site, that is it.

The bricks are really there just to allow me to put a damp course between the wood.

Originally posted by texman View Post
                        beautiful work! how close will that upper cross-member be to the oven opening?

Texman
                        This is only approximate, but the vertical measurement from the inside edge of bottom plate is 5" to the outside of the stove, and the shortest distance of 45 degree is 3" to the outside of the stove. This obviously might change slightly as the build progresses, but hopefully not by too much.
                        I'm afraid that without measuring, I'm not sure of the measurement to the top of the stove opening, although I do know that I have left plenty of room.

A quick template view.

Last edited by EddiePJ; 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

just checking to see what kind of room you will have for outer arch and vent as well a how close the cross-member will be to the top of the oven opening. The outer vent will get warm, not hot and you could get some smoke belch on start up that might stain your oak somewhat. Depending on your arch style, it might get tight laying brick for the outer arch but this will be a very cool build. Looking forward to your progress.
                          Texman
                          Texman Kitchen

Comment

Thanks Texman.

I hadn't considered issues relating to smoke. I might have to give that one some thought, even if it just means using a removable cover of some sort.

I'm not sure what has happened to the image in my post above.
                            It should be the same size as my other images, but is massive, and I can only see half of my text, and because of this, I can't see the edit function to change it. I have also deleted the image from source, so hopefully it will all sort itself out.

So sorry if anyone has the same issue viewing it.
                            Last edited by EddiePJ; 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

i could see half of image then it disappeared too.

You wont get much smoke with proper size flue, but some. i was trying to imagine building around the wood structure you have. You may be able to lay across a platform supported by the structure as you build the dome. might save the back some pain.
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X