Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~38" build in Seattle

Originally posted by pluscwc View Post
    Found it in your thread. Was this the material you stuffed into the gap? Kiln Gasket - Flat

How many tubes of caulk did you need?

I used this caulk - one tube was enough
    Kaowool Caulk Details

For the gap, I stuffed it with ceramic fiber rope. It was waaay cheaper than that as I bought by the foot. IIRC, they sell it at seattle pottery supply by the foot.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Also - Chimney flow calculator - FYI

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ator-3905.html
      My build progress

Comment

Results from the calculation spreadsheet:

8" chimney:
        3 meter height 0.13276 m^3/s
        1 meter height 0.07665 m^3/s

6" chimney:
        3 meter height 0.07468 m^3/s

I think people would agree that a 1 meter high 8" dia pipe should be sufficient for a 38" oven. What is the benefit of twice the draft? Faster heating?
        Last edited by pluscwc; 07-09-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

After taking a week off because it was too hot for me to work here in Seattle. I finished row 9 today. Took extra time because my blade finally ran out of diamonds. Probably took as much time to free the arbor nut as to drive to the hardware store and buy a new blade.

Still, finished the row tonight after sundown. Watching the mosquitos resting on the dome after biting me, I've officially put my blood and sweat into this oven. The tears have all been away from the oven itself.

I used sticks to prop up the bricks until the keystone was done, then crawled inside to clean up. Good times. I think I made the door too big, but it sure didn't feel like it while I was inside there.

I think I can do a 3 brick top layer, and finish up the dome tomorrow. Yeah.

Comment

Time for a celebratory pint.

I got a little sloppy at the end, but it's all mortared together and I'm taking the rest of my afternoon off.

Yeah.

Comment

Looks good. I hope you enjoyed the well earned pint.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Congrats! I am sure it feels good. Great thing is that while only a few will ever look at the inside of your dome - no one will see the outside of the plug!
                My build progress

Comment

Ahh, I love panicking and worrying when I can't work. I neglected to put a cardboard spacer between the floor and the dome bricks for an expansion joint. Should I go in there and pull the floor bricks and shave them down?

I'm recovering from a back injury, probably contributed to by my crawling in the oven to clean the last bricks, so I don't relish it. At least it would be face down this time.

Any tips on pulling up floor bricks? If it was smooth I'd use a suction cup, but I'm thinking that won't work here.

Comment

Don't worry about it. It will be fine.
                    My build progress

Comment

Calculate the thermal expansion of the circumference of the oven VS the diameter and you will have your answer. In other words, no, there is no need for an expansion joint there.

Comment

I am a beginner and also forgot the spacers between the floor and the soldier course. After 18 months and 3 55# bags of pizza flour I don't think it really mattered. I am pretty sure it is no longer physically attached by mortar and expands/contracts freely.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurances.

I mortared the entry arch tonight. Then I tried to pull the form, not quite sure why now, probably to clean up the inside. As I should have known, things came a bit loose, but I had to pull everything down to get the form back inside.

Rebuilt the entry arch tonight, too.

I'm getting tired of this project, and I know I have a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by pluscwc View Post
                            Thanks for the reassurances.

I mortared the entry arch tonight. Then I tried to pull the form, not quite sure why now, probably to clean up the inside. As I should have known, things came a bit loose, but I had to pull everything down to get the form back inside.

Rebuilt the entry arch tonight, too.

I'm getting tired of this project, and I know I have a long way to go.
                            Pluscwc, If you haven't already done so, make sure you shim underneath your arch form to make it so you can remove the form without disturbing the brick work. Also "Expert weigh in" I was told to leave the outer arch form in place until it had to be removed to do something else "few days?".

As far as being tired of the project, I think all of us weekend warriors can empathize. I would highly recommend getting it "weathered in" and using it as is. Then take a break from it over the winter and start back at it in the spring with fresh prospective. My personal experience was that building the dome was the least time consuming and finishing the enclosure the most, but I guess that would all depends on how you choose to enclose it. Once you get to a point where you can use your WFO, it helps to renew the soul.
                            Chris

Link to my photo album:
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Hey PL

Keep the spirit. We have all had failures of one kind or another and they are all part of the learning curve. Some of us made our ovens in weeks, some in years but like Chris implied, once you get a fire in there and some food coming out of it the finishing touches are not so urgent.

I loved the whole thing (other than the aching muscles from unaccustomed exercise ) and have become involved in a couple more ovens of those who were inspired with the outcome of my build. Less work involved in those but still the opportunity to help others and refine skills.

Keep your chin up, stay focused on achieving the waypoints and you will be smelling pizza or whatever floats your boat, before you know.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

No worries.
                                I did have shims, although probably not enough. I just bumped the front arch while pulling out the form for the back arch. This time I will dismantle the form a bit more before removing it. And wait a few days or weeks to take it apart.

My plan is for a doghouse enclosure. (Although in my heart of hearts, I want to build one that looks like Able Baker Charlie Mouse's oven. Maybe someone more skilled will do that.)

My goals for the year are to get the roof, chimney, and walls up so I can use it and decorating the outside can be a winter/next year project.

Comment

Working...
                                X