Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMYeli's inner arch brick cuts

Hi Again Everyone,

Please take a look at the form I've built for my oven door. Texman posted a picture of a form adjacent to an inner arch, and his bricks hung over nicely to get some nice cuts on his bricks.

As you can see, my blue form is the width of my inner arch pillars (4.5 inches). I assume I need to make the door form narrower so that the arch bricks actually hang over so that I can cut them.

Second concern: should the second form (the one from the center of the oven to the door) be the length of the diameter? I assume yes.

Thirdly, I am building a low dome and it will be 16 inches high. I will cut bricks at 50 degrees to put on top of the soldiers. Are all other chains after this chain place without putting cuts into the brick? Deejayoh's spreadsheet has me a bit confused about angles. (Perhaps the angles in his spreadsheet on column N refers to the degree to shich the brick must be raised in the back and NOT cut to that degree ? ? ?)

Re: DMYeli's inner arch brick cuts

Originally posted by dmyeli View Post
    Hi Again Everyone,

Please take a look at the form I've built for my oven door. Texman posted a picture of a form adjacent to an inner arch, and his bricks hung over nicely to get some nice cuts on his bricks.

As you can see, my blue form is the width of my inner arch pillars (4.5 inches). I assume I need to make the door form narrower so that the arch bricks actually hang over so that I can cut them.

Second concern: should the second form (the one from the center of the oven to the door) be the length of the diameter? I assume yes.

Thirdly, I am building a low dome and it will be 16 inches high. I will cut bricks at 50 degrees to put on top of the soldiers. Are all other chains after this chain place without putting cuts into the brick? Deejayoh's spreadsheet has me a bit confused about angles. (Perhaps the angles in his spreadsheet on column N refers to the degree to shich the brick must be raised in the back and NOT cut to that degree ? ? ?)
    Hey DM

Welcome to the block.
    First thing is: I built a hemispherical inner arch and it looks like you are building a vaulted arch. So, we are kind of mixing our tools a bit, but i think it will work out. I dont think your form needs to be narrower for bricks to hang. The length of the brick will determine that. Are you going to taper the top the arch bricks to accept the dome bricks?

The form that goes to the middle has to be shorter than the diameter or your arch would protrude too much and you will have a teardrop dome.

as far as angles: are you saying angle cuts to the sides or top and bottom of brick. Since you are building a low dome, your angles will be determined by the change from the top of the soldiers to the center finished height and the number of courses.

Take some more pics if you can to get a better look.

Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by dmyeli View Post

First a quick tip - It's easiest if you post all your questions on your main thread, if you want people to be able to follow along and answer questions

On the spreadsheet - column "N" will give you the angle that the bottom course of the dome should be at before you install any bricks. You don't need to cut the top or bottom of the brick - but if you want to cut the sides a la "Hendo" (do a search for "Twist and Tilt" for background) then you need to use a jig that has that angle at the back of the brick. Look up the threads on jig types for a better explanation than I can give here. They're both linked from my spreadsheet
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hi

are you tapering your arch. As the arch bricks need to intersect your done template. I built a lower dome also. Yours looks lower again. Check my build out, you need to position your to arch brick to ensure it intersects the dome if not arch is too far forward. Ignore triangle that will be formed.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-30-2013, 12:06 AM.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

What is the height for the inner and oputer arch for a 42" oven?

Comment

Hi Mike,

The height of the inner arch should be 63% of the dome height so for a 42" oven the dome height should be 13.9" according to the dome Calculator tool. The exterior arch is usually larger by a few more inches but it is really the interior arch that matters most.
            Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Working...
            X