Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small oven for friend

Greetings....

Its been quite a while since I have visited the forum. I am still loving the wood fired cooking experience and we use our oven on average once a week for sure. I am posting this under the Pompeii Oven pages even though the build I may help a friend with may be a fire brick build or a kit from Forno Bravo. I have had both a 36" and a my current 42" Pompeii style oven in my new place. I have noticed how much easier and better it is to cook with and manage the fire in my newest oven the 42" inch. I have a friend that is because of space and costs wanting to build a 28" internal cook floor oven. I am looking for some feedback on going the route of a smaller oven like this so I have a few questions below that will help asses what to expect from such a small oven.

1. If anyone has used both a 42" and an oven like a 28" oven how would you compare the efficency of the smaller oven? I am guessing you would need smaller sized fire wood to burn clean?

2.I have never used a small oven like a 28" and have no idea what to expect. I am thinking its going to be one small pizza at a time and this may be ok as long as the oven is effecient and clean burning. Any first hand comparisons to a larger oven and the 28" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Wayne Bergman
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: small oven for friend

There are pros and cons for small vs large ovens. Regarding fuel consumption, obviously a small oven uses less, but a large combustion chamber is more efficient. Generally the fuel used is directly proportional to oven volume. But not quite eg a 4 litre engine does not use 4 times the fuel of a one litre engine.
    My own oven is quite small at 21" and uses very little fuel, no trouble to fire up and cook 2 pizzas. The time taken to heat is more dependent on wall and floor thickness. The larger oven will simply accommodate a larger fire, so firing up time will usually be much the same. Management of a small oven can be more difficult although you don't require tools with long handles. The door area in relation to wall surface means greater heat loss for a small oven.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The more pizza you plan on making, the bigger the oven should be. 42" is a commercial size.

Comment

I have a 32" and no experience with a larger oven.. so please view my comments in this context:

I am very happy with my oven and I can host big pizza parties where I can cook pizzas one at a time almost indefinitely. It takes about 3 minutes per pizza so if I have them "staged" (i.e. my wife is waiting for me to hand her the cooked one and pass me the raw one!) we can cook > 15 pizzas an hour. No-one has ever stood around bored or hungry. Of course if you want everyone to eat at the same time that is a problem with my oven.

In order to prepare the oven for a party, I heat the oven a little more slowly than normal - and allow about 2-3 hours to do it (If I only want to cook 1-2 pizzas I can clear the dome in 60-75 minutes). Then during cooking I always keep some small pieces of oak burning on the sides. Adds a bit of heat, a bit of smoke and a bit of light. Plus it looks good and always gets oohs and aahs from the guests!

Comment

Boerwarrior, I'm curious, did you build with half bricks or thirds? How thick of a layer of concrete did you add on top of the bricks and what insulation on top of that?
          Mine is 48" with half bricks , 2.5 " of concrete and several inches of perlite. It is nice but is way too big for home use. Just me and the much better half so a couple loafs and a dinner or two a week, maybe.

Comment

Hi klaatu

I used half bricks until about the 6th course - then started using thirds. For the top two courses I used some 1/4 bricks. That's one of the problems with a small oven - the radii get pretty small and it is a little harder to use the big bricks!

Your question about concrete... are you referring to the base? If yes, my base is very thick - about 6 inches of high strength concrete followed by 3 inches of CalSil insulation board. then I laid the floor bricks on top of the CalSil.

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
              I have a 32" and no experience with a larger oven.. so please view my comments in this context:

I am very happy with my oven and I can host big pizza parties where I can cook pizzas one at a time almost indefinitely. It takes about 3 minutes per pizza so if I have them "staged" (i.e. my wife is waiting for me to hand her the cooked one and pass me the raw one!) we can cook > 15 pizzas an hour. No-one has ever stood around bored or hungry. Of course if you want everyone to eat at the same time that is a problem with my oven.

In order to prepare the oven for a party, I heat the oven a little more slowly than normal - and allow about 2-3 hours to do it (If I only want to cook 1-2 pizzas I can clear the dome in 60-75 minutes). Then during cooking I always keep some small pieces of oak burning on the sides. Adds a bit of heat, a bit of smoke and a bit of light. Plus it looks good and always gets oohs and aahs from the guests!
              This is exactly the way we do it too.Sharing whatever comes out makes for a better party too.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The 2.5 inches of concrete was for added mass. I'm thinking about ripping out the big one and building a much smaller ,thinner walled one.

Comment

Working...
                X