36+ Pompeii in St. Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36+ Pompeii in St. Louis

I used cement board under my slab. I didn't feel like messing with the plywood. It seemed a lot easier to place the board and just leave it there. I have a divided base, but I still used a little shoring under the cement board.

Comment

Originally posted by bobmurphy View Post
      I used cement board under my slab. I didn't feel like messing with the plywood. It seemed a lot easier to place the board and just leave it there. I have a divided base, but I still used a little shoring under the cement board.
      My problem is that i used HardieBacker and not something intended for exterior use. I see your photos and I did it the same way (laid the board on TOP of block wall with room for concrete to surround the edges as it is poured).

I don't want this stuff to disintegrate under the hearth in 5 years so I'm leaning toward busting it out.

Comment

Just cut it with an angle grinder after you brace it from the bottom...then remove it afteryou pour the slab.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Not too much progress over the weekend. We mostly worked on landscaping before winter hits. The larger patio requires us to transplant a bunch of plants.

The HardieBacker thing was bugging me so I popped it out and went with plywood. It came right out with a few taps of the sledgehammer. The whole thing took me about 2 hours so I'm happy and won't worry about. In STL I'm sure that board would experience the full range of temps and humidity. I'd rather have it right and move on. [Note: you can see the glue that was holding the backer board. that is not caulking]

Next, the contractor/neighbor is pouring the hearth slab. I gave him the green light this morning and he acts fast.

Question: Should we do a slope/grade on the hearth slab? Being in STL this oven will see some weather. As I said before, I want to avoid doing an enclosure/roof so should we do a 1% grade? if so, which direction etc? Any input is appreciated!

Matt
          Last edited by merk; 10-14-2013, 06:03 AM.

Comment

LOL. Contractor arrived about 30 minutes after my previous post. Hearth might be poured this afternoon.

Comment

If the Concrete slab is your finished surface, then i'd set a fall outwards from the centre to all sides.

Comment

Concrete forms work today (contractor)

Comment

The guys poured the hearth and patio curb today

Comment

Merk
                    Stand looks great. What size and style oven are you going to build?
                    Chris

Link to my photo album:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
                      Merk
                      Stand looks great. What size and style oven are you going to build?
                      Hi Chris

Thanks. Planning on igloo style I think. The hearth width comes to 62.5" so I'm going to build the biggest oven i can fit on that.

M

Comment

Must be nice to have a cement contractor for a neighbor.

Comment

Hearth slab is finished. Now we focus on the patio. There won't be much progress on the oven for a while.

Comment

Very nice looking foundation and hearth slab. You have more self control than me. I also have a patio planned, but the oven construction is the priority. I can't wait to start cooking! The rest of the project will come along later.

Comment

Originally posted by merk View Post
                              Hearth slab is finished. Now we focus on the patio. There won't be much progress on the oven for a while.
                              Like Bob, I think that you have more patience than me .

I'm not sure about your particular layout. But, the oven construction, from here to finish, can still be a little messy. Completing the oven first, may keep you from having to cover that pretty patio floor in order to finish it. Also, you can be enjoying some of the great treats from her while the "less important" stuff gets done .
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

No action on the oven. The patio project has been the priority lately and we are rushing to beat the first winter storm in St. Louis which should arrive in the next 24 hours or so.

It took me forever to pick out pavers. In the end, herringbone pattern with holland stone won out. Wanted it to match the oven floor a bit
                                Last edited by merk; 12-04-2013, 08:14 AM. Reason: fixed image rotation

Comment

Working...
                                X