Cure Time For High Temp Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure Time For High Temp Mortar

I am about to start building my dome. GENERALLY, how much time does it take the mortar to set so that it can hold the firebrick in place? Does each individual brick need to be supported while the mortar set?
    Mark in Sandy Springs, GA

Re: Cure Time For High Temp Mortar

Originally posted by SandySpringsPizza View Post
    I am about to start building my dome. GENERALLY, how much time does it take the mortar to set so that it can hold the firebrick in place? Does each individual brick need to be supported while the mortar set?
    I used Heat Stop and mixed it pretty wet and it only took only a minute or two before I could move on to the next brick. This was just for the top third of my 42 incher, no significant wait time for the ones on the first 5 or 6 courses. It was 95 degrees outside so that may have helped me.
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Re: Cure Time For High Temp Mortar

Generally....the bond will set faster the drier and warmer the unit is. Also, the time it takes for the mortar bond to hold a brick in place will generally be longer for each course closer to the top of the dome on a pompeii build.

Curing will depend on the amount applied, water content and temperature.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
      X