Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Build in South Oz

Originally posted by david s View Post
    I guess if the steel rod is free to move within the holes in the bricks, ie. it's loose and the ends have somewhere to expand to ,then you shouldn't expect problems. I'm interested to hear how it goes.
    Actually, he's got a bit of a cunning plan for the exposed ends. I'll have to post a pic when its done.
    By the way, the rods are 650mm long.
    So if the roof gets to 400 degrees, which is highly unlikely, the difference between the expansion of brick masonry versus steel is 2 mm.
    With a thermal expansion of 13 x 10(-6) m/m K, 650 mm of steel should increase in length by 3.4 mm. 650mm of brick (5.5) by 1.4 mm.
    So we are debating about bugger all. Especially since the throat won't get that hot. I imagine we'll be able to put our hands on most parts of the entry without a burn.
    I reckon the people who have trouble with lintels have them in the oven proper, where they really do get that hot.

If the throat got that hot, then the carbon would burn off, and I've never yet seen an oven with the soot burnt off in that area.
    Still got a heatwave here so there'll be no lighting of my oven to check temperatures for a few weeks yet.

BTW, did you note the expansion coefficient for concrete? At 400 degrees, there would be 0.6 mm difference over a metre of length.
    I think I see why the Michelevit's brick oven on a shoestring didn't crack despite all the dire predictions to the contrary.
    Last edited by wotavidone; 01-28-2014, 04:06 AM.

Comment

you talking inside entry or outside entry.

as my inside entry the other day as around 380c

That flue is of concern. Hope he likes lots of smoke in his face as that will happen. Even with the thought I put into my flue gallery I don't get a lot of smoke out front but there is some. With a flat gallery and a flue that wont be straight and travelling reverse direction against the flow of smoke. travel that is a tall ask. Be interested seeing what happens. But you can give people all the great ideas in the world but in the end they just have to see.

Sounds like you are a little frustrated as it appears the collective is out voting you
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-28-2014, 04:03 AM.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
        you talking inside entry or outside entry.

as my inside entry the other day as around 380c

That flue is of concern. Hope he likes lots of smoke in his face as that will happen. Even with the thought I put into my flue gallery I don't get a lot of smoke out front but there is some. With a flat gallery and a flue that wont be straight and travelling reverse direction against the flow of smoke. travel that is a tall ask. Be interested seeing what happens. But you can give people all the great ideas in the world but in the end they just have to see.

Sounds like you are a little frustrated as it appears the collective is out voting you
        Outside entry, my inner arch gets hot enough to burn the carbon off too, but the outer arch gets nowhere near that hot.

I'm not [I]particularly[I] frustrated, except by the way this website logs me off before I finish typing.
        If, by collective you mean the guys I'm building this oven with, yes on occasion they can be a little testing. But its all part of the fun.

My mate commented the other day that he didn't think this oven would be as much work as it had been.

I pointed out we made the dome in 8 days, and if it wasn't for the client's penchant for departing from the tried and true, we'd be eating pizza by now.

For example his desire to angle the flue back is based on clearing the edge of his shade sail. I'd relocate the bloody sail.

When he expressed a desire for a square entry with no visible steel showing, I said the only way you could do that is with perforated bricks with reo running through it.
        I called it a manufactured lintel, and initially I was keen on it.

The client pounced on the idea like a staffy on a pig's ear, and held on as well too.

My mate reads all these posts during his late night bouts of insomnia. Right now he's probably laughing his head off.

His words were "Let's do that, post it on the forum and see how many people say it'll never work."

I reckon the bricks threaded on reo will work fine, though I wish I'd been there to influence the design and execution a bit.

In the unlikely event that it proves structurally unsound the whole entry is free standing and unconnected to the rest of the oven, so it'll take bugger all to remove it and do it different.

The draughting with the flat roof and the angles in the flue is a different story.
        But I do have a contingency plan for that.
        And I don't think I've yet mentioned his vision for doors. With adjustable vents for combustion air, the controlled admission thereof.

Comment

Hmmmm. it will work as I said I put a weekend to getting the venting to flow smoothly out of the oven. He wants flat he has got flat. Personally I gave up smoking 12 years ago and don't wish to start again.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
            Hmmmm. it will work as I said I put a weekend to getting the venting to flow smoothly out of the oven. He wants flat he has got flat. Personally I gave up smoking 12 years ago and don't wish to start again.
            28 years ago I gave up the ciggies.

Funny thing is though, when I anchor on my favourite snapper drop on a dark, dead calm winters night, with the berley stream flowing, the hooks baited and the only sound the lapping of the water on the hull and a dog barking in a farmhouse 2 miles away, and all I have to do is wait for the fish to get interested, I still after all this time, feel like a smoke.
            I'd get instantly dizzy and fall over the side, but still I feel like a durrie.

Comment

Sorry can't relate I stopped and never once had that feeling of wanting one. All the previous attempts I did have that feeling. Needless to say your mate will be inhaling a lot more smoke unless you have tight fitting blast door. Even then not sure it's doable.

As the oven needs to draw air which requires the door to be vented.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Only on a snapper drop. Might be something to do with "hurry up and wait"
                Had a mate who got a government sponsored trip to Vietnam in 1971.
                He called it "hurry up and wait". Hurry and get to your destination, then wait for hours, and then 20 minutes of sheer pandemonium.
                My Vietnam touring mate, may he rest in peace, reckoned snapper fishing in South Oz is pretty similar, with the exception that in snapper fishing the quarry never shoots back at you.

You rush home from work, get the boat, rush to launch, rush to get out to your spot before the light goes, rush to get the hooks and berley in the water, then you wait, for hours sometimes, the fish to turn up.
                A perfect time for a long leisurely cigarette, if you smoke.

Comment

My mate has started using the oven without even a chimney. I can assure everyone that it smokes a great deal when there is no chimney and not even the most basic of doors to keep out those pesky afternoon sou'west winds.
                  He's working on it, like everything else he's searching out a "deal". He's got a nice cast iron plate that may end up being the door since it just happens to be the right size.
                  Still, the dome goes white regardless of the cold winds blowing in.

He has done the enclosure.
                  The oven is now enclosed completely in a giant Hebel cube.
                  6 inches thick all round. Underneath, the sides, and the roof. Cavity filled with loose perlite. He sealed across the heat break gap with perlcrete before he laid the Hebel across the front.

In my opinion, having used both now, perlite makes better insulating concrete than vermiculite. It will be my choice from now on.

He has some super-duper waterproofing render to put over the outside to seal the Hebel.
                  On Sunday night, he baked some baguettes at about 250C, then put some Hebel off-cuts across the door and left it.

Next day it was 180C according to the thermocouple he put through the dome on the weekend. So he made bacon and eggs for breakfast.
                  Can't wait to see how hot stays after actually running it white.
                  Edit: it just occurred to me that he is still cooking out the 2 1/2 inches / 68mm of rain we had as well.

Interesting thing about the thermocouple: the junction (tip) of the thermocouple protrudes into the oven, but it appears to be measuring brick temperature, not air temperature. The rate of rise, even with the flames licking it, suggests it is the bricks. This sort of fits with theory. In theory it is the difference between the hot junction to the cold junction ( the length of the dissimilar metals in the two wires) that develops the voltage differential in a thermocouple, so that six inch probe he has installed through the brick really should be measuring the brick, I guess.

I don't reckon this oven has actually been cold since his missus went back to the Philippines nearly two weeks ago.
                  Dunno how the little firecracker's gunna react when she gets home and finds out he hasn't actually finished it.
                  He reckons the best bit about being married to a Filipina is that they never nag.
                  The rest of us are terrified of her.
                  Last edited by wotavidone; 02-18-2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X