How long does your oven stay hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does your oven stay hot?

As the title implies, I'm curious to see how long and how hot your oven stays after firing. I have a Casa2G90, and added extra insulation both above and below. I also made an insulated door for my oven. Yesterday we cooked pizza and closed her down around 8pm or so. At 330pm this afternoon, the oven was right at 450, so we decided to throw a few loaves of bread in. Temps here in NC today were in the 30's to 40's. Most times, next morning the temp is right at 375-500 somewhere. Not sure why I get such a discrepancy. Firing times tend to be around the same, 2-3 hrs.

I've gotten almost 3 days of use before, where the temp on the last morning is around 200 and perfect for granola, fruit roll ups or jerky.

What are your typical times and temps?

My build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/d...ild-20119.html
    Last edited by ncsmoker; 01-06-2014, 03:26 PM.
    My build:

Re: How long does your oven stay hot?

I posted the following around 5 years ago for the record.

Saturday at 6:30 PM after the fire; hearth=900 deg.
    Saturday at 8:00 PM after pizzas; hearth=555 deg.
    Sunday at 9:00 AM hearth=447 deg. - cooked a coffee cake
    Sunday at 4:30 PM hearth=374 deg. - cooked coconut shrimp
    Monday at 6:30 AM hearth=288 deg.
    Monday at 4:45 PM hearth=244 deg.
    Tuesday at 4:45 PM hearth=170 deg.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les, do you remember how long you fired the oven for prior to cooking pizza?

I ask because I can fire mine for 90 minutes and get it up to temp, but the heat lasts nowhere near as long as when I let it go for 3 hours or longer.
      My build:

Comment

I usually plan on three hours. I do not have a raging fire, I would say its a moderate burn. When the carbon has cleared to about 4 inches above the hearth I let the fire get a lot smaller.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Mine doesn't stay hot long. Best I have seen 12 hours after a pizza night is about 300 degrees F.
          I suppose I should really get around to making a nice close fitting insulated door.
          I guess thin stainless steel sheet is really not much use for holing the heat.
          When you fire it quick (60-90 mins), the bricks don't really saturate. The surface is hot but there is still capacity to pump more heat into the brick.
          Last edited by wotavidone; 01-07-2014, 12:12 AM.

Comment

After building my insulated door, I am seeing a difference of about 50 degrees between that and the thin metal door. I honestly thought it would have been more of a difference.
            My build:

Comment

After a full saturation burn, it goes about like this:

Doored after pizza, 850-900
              24 hours 550
              48 hours 350
              72 hours 200
              96 hours 150
              120-168 hours ambient

Comment

48 hours after cooking pizza, we are at 200 degrees. It's usually a little better than this...might have something to do with the fact that it's 15 degrees outside!
                My build:

Comment

A wise man once told me and we all know him [KD]. That once oven is fired and maintained for at least 3 hours for complete saturation of the mass then doored. Allow 90 minutes for complete saturation. What becomes important then is air temperature. My thermocouples after doing this all read the same as the air temperature.

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                  Mine doesn't stay hot long. Best I have seen 12 hours after a pizza night is about 300 degrees F.

I suppose I should really get around to making a nice close fitting insulated door.
                  I guess thin stainless steel sheet is really not much use for holing the heat.
                  Maybe check out my door when I get photos up I am using stainless steel throughout my door but isolating the internal SS from the external. My door will be 5" thick though heavier around the handles lighter inside the oven. eg.. from inside out SS/Calsil/SS/Hebel/SS/Handles............
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-08-2014, 04:44 PM.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

For the door it is not just how well insulated it is in regards to performance, but also how well it seals. Think of a normal domestic oven with a faulty door seal, won't hold temperature. This is another whole can of worms because as the inner oven parts are moving all the time it affects the seal. Sometimes I have to wedge a tiny slither of wood under the bottom edge of my door to create a good seal, other times not. Italians had a good trick to help seal their ovens by using wet newspaper jammed in around the sides and the top. Not too pretty, but very effective.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

david

if ceramic rope is placed in the corner of the door that forms the reveal section of the door about half an inch in fastened with high temp adhesive wrapped completely around the door would it not seal perfectly.

That's my intention will report how it goes when I get the door in.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-09-2014, 01:37 AM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                        david

if ceramic rope is placed in the corner of the door that forms the reveal section of the door about half an inch in fastened with high temp adhesive wrapped completely around the door would it not seal perfectly.

That's my intention will report how it goes when I get the door in.
                        That could work, but remember that when the oven cools it is likely to jamb tight against your door creating abrasion against the rope. I don't like the idea of using a ceramic rope near the food so I haven't tried it. If you get a high temperature adhesive that will stick the stuff to the side of your door let me know. Nothing I've tried stands up very well particularly at the top of the door which gets very hot.
                        Last edited by david s; 01-09-2014, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Hi David

Found this by fluke check it out not sure where you obtain the product but maybe some of us could buy a 6 pack or 20 pack and try it out.

Product is towards the bottom.

http://www.sdberg.com.au/Cats/NP%20F...s%20Online.pdf

Possibility may be able to run a bead around the door and get a nice push fit with flexibility. Let me know what you think. I'm ringing tomorrow if I can find a phone number.

As for the rope I only intend having it placed around the inner lip of the entry arch just inside the arch creating a compression fit [due to expansion and contraction of a close fitting door getting jammed in place that you pointed out above] locking the door in.

This is why I am making my initial door 5" thick.

Unlike the ceramic blanket the rope I have does not seem to shed nor does the ceramic tape. Wrapped both around my arm with a dark windcheater on and there seemed to be no noticeable dandruff.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

I've not tried Pyrogrip, but I have tried Thermoseal and found it pretty unsatisfactory. Get some, try it and let us know.Sikafireate is another but it also goes hard and brittle.

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm going with this fiberglass seal and some high temp adhesive as a door seal.

McMaster-Carr
                              My build:

Comment

Working...
                              X