10" vs 7" saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" vs 7" saw

Hello all, this is my first post, I've just begun building my 40" pompeii oven, and the forums here have been invaluable.

I've read on here how many people recommend the Harbor Freight 10" tile saw for this job. There's a Harbor Freight store just blocks from my house, so that's an easy option. However, I have the opportunity to buy a used MK Diamond saw with blade for about the same price as the new 10" HF saw.

I've never done ANY masonry work before, and was wondering which saw more experienced masons would consider better for the job. Will a 7" saw 'cut it'?

Thanks-

Erik

Re: 10" vs 7" saw

Originally posted by esmoore View Post
    Hello all, this is my first post, I've just begun building my 40" pompeii oven, and the forums here have been invaluable.

I've read on here how many people recommend the Harbor Freight 10" tile saw for this job. There's a Harbor Freight store just blocks from my house, so that's an easy option. However, I have the opportunity to buy a used MK Diamond saw with blade for about the same price as the new 10" HF saw.

I've never done ANY masonry work before, and was wondering which saw more experienced masons would consider better for the job. Will a 7" saw 'cut it'?

Thanks-

Erik
    Even the 10" is marginal at best. I managed with the 10 but there were many cuts on my build that required me to make a half brick cut, then turn the brick around and try to get a decent cut from the other side to complete it. I cant imagine a 7" working at all. I guess it depends on exactly what you are cutting.
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Originally posted by esmoore View Post

Thanks-

Erik
      Get the MK.

Edit: but not if it's a 7"....that's a tile saw.
      Last edited by stonecutter; 01-09-2014, 06:19 AM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
        Even the 10" is marginal at best. I managed with the 10 but there were many cuts on my build that required me to make a half brick cut, then turn the brick around and try to get a decent cut from the other side to complete it. I cant imagine a 7" working at all. I guess it depends on exactly what you are cutting.
        You wouldn't want to make cuts like that on a 14" either Garner...trust me. An angle grinder is the best thing for all those funky notches and trapezoidal cuts.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
          You wouldn't want to make cuts like that on a 14" either Garner...trust me. An angle grinder is the best thing for all those funky notches and trapezoidal cuts.
          Yeah my angle grinder won the most useful tool award! They are relatively inexpensive tools too.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Austin huh? I have a bag and a half of Heat Stop 50 I'll give you, as well as a few other left overs, and Im selling my 10" saw with stand and good blade for $150

Comment

Austin huh? I have a bag and a half of Heat Stop 50 I'll give you, as well as a few other left overs, and Im selling my 10" saw with stand and good blade for $150
              Sold!

I have to tell you, I've browsed through your build thread, and am super impressed. I've saved a link to your Picasa album as reference and inspiration. Aside from the finish out (and the flared reveal, which I like, but am a little nervous to attempt), my plans are pretty similar.

Comment

Thanks Man! see you tomorrow. Bring a 5 gallon bucket if you have one.

Comment

...Bring a 5 gallon bucket if you have one.
                  Sheesh Garner, I would think you have indoor plumbing by now.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Pizza oven first then indoor plumbing!

Comment

Working...
                    X