Brick chimney to metal flue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick chimney to metal flue

Hey gang, i need help building a taller chimney flue so that the pipe goes past my patio cover/roof. I will not add more bricks to the chimney as it would get very heavy. So i plan on adding a metal chimney flue, but the problem is the connections from the brick chimney to a metal flue. How would i do this? Thanks again.

Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Re: Brick chimney to metal flue

In my opinion you are way to close to combustable materials currently for anyone to help you. That wouldn't pass any building code in the modern world. Personally I would knock down what you currently have in brick and rebuild it into a taper that ends at 8x8 about 6 inches bellow the roof. Then simply plate it off and run flue pipe through the roof with a clearance to combustable per manufacturers spec. I know you don't want to hear this but it is much better then a fire your home owners won't cover you on do you an oven not built to code.

Comment

Keep the 2" clearance between, your brick and wood as has been advised. Since you only have one layer of brick and no liner, do place some kind of fire retardant materal in between those surfaces. I used 5/8ths fire resistant drywall and then some unpapered fiber glass insulation between mine. It looks like you will have to extend your brick up a few layers to be able to get the flashing between your chimney and roof. (It would have been better had you of transitioned the interior liner from rectangular to round before you went thru the roof) From here you will probably have to have some type of plenum built to convert from rectangular to 8" round.
      Last edited by Gulf; 01-13-2014, 07:15 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Who cares how much it weighs? You need to bring the masonry up above the finished roof at a bare minimum, and with that other plane of roof near it, you will need to go about 5-6 foot above the pic.

To answer you question, though, there is a plate made for the transition, you can buy it where you buy the pipe. It is 12x12" for 8" pipe and can be screwed on or laid into the 2nd or third course from the top.

Comment

Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
          In my opinion you are way to close to combustable materials currently for anyone to help you. That wouldn't pass any building code in the modern world. Personally I would knock down what you currently have in brick and rebuild it into a taper that ends at 8x8 about 6 inches bellow the roof. Then simply plate it off and run flue pipe through the roof with a clearance to combustable per manufacturers spec. I know you don't want to hear this but it is much better then a fire your home owners won't cover you on do you an oven not built to code.

Thanks for the comments, i understand the framing is close to the chimney/bricks, i will remove those 2x4's and space them atleast 2" away. I will NOT knock down the brick chimney. I will make it right once i get this ironed out. Thanks .

Comment

Thanks guys, i will add a few rows of brick so that im above the roof however i will not got up all the way with bricks. That is why i plan on using a metal flue. So i will add a few rows of bricks so i can install a flashing, then will install a flue, with the proper transition.

Comment

I would tweak it as you described, using the flashing to get the 8" pipe on.
              If you run this into the course below the roof line then continue the bricks to at least the roof line and higher, if you have enough just to make it look good.
              Then you get bricks and insulated flue without seeing the flue from below when your cooking and hanging.
              I dont know your codes re combustibles and chimneys,but there is nothing some cement sheet and/or moving of noggins cant fix.

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                Thanks guys, i will add a few rows of brick so that im above the roof however i will not got up all the way with bricks. That is why i plan on using a metal flue. So i will add a few rows of bricks so i can install a flashing, then will install a flue, with the proper transition.
                Just one more piece of advise from me. Just my opinion, mind you. You only have one brick thickness of solid brick. Not great for attaching a pipe that will extend 2 feet above the adjoining gable. I'm just guessing but, that looks like a minimum of about 8'. Since you don't plan to add much more masonry heighth, think about adding guy wires to your flu pipe. Another option would be to pour in place, a custom concrete transition from which to anchor the 12" X 12 to 8" round. Either (or both, the better option) would help to relieve some of the wind load stresses. Around here we have to plan for hurricanes, extreme thunderstorms and worse. Don't ya'll have something called the Santa Ana winds?
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Ill post a picture of the flue later when i get a chance

Comment

Had a chimney custom made to fit my exact needs/application. All this cost me $140, which is an amazing price. I will also make sure to strap it down properly due to the height.

Comment

Hopefully, that's not galvanized sheet metal. It dies look nice.....
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                        Hopefully, that's not galvanized sheet metal. It dies look nice.....
                        It is 24 gauge galvanized. It should be fine
                        Last edited by V-wiz; 01-20-2014, 08:08 AM.

Comment

The inside is going to get rusty pretty quick if you don't coat it with high heat paint.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                            The inside is going to get rusty pretty quick if you don't coat it with high heat paint.

I just may spray the inside as well. Are you referring to the rust from the build of the soot/acid?

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                              It is 24 gauge galvanized. It should be fine
                              The reason stainless is recommended is that heaps of people using galvanized have had to replace their flues after a few years service. Some prayer may help.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X