42" Started in Fountain Hills, Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Started in Fountain Hills, Arizona

Love the start of your build! What will you be using your gas line for on that left side?
    Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance on the low duty firebrick.......it was bothering me a bit. I ended up paying $1.24 per brick after they sensed my irritation of misquoting me over the phone.....and the 80 mile round trip. The regular price for the LD brick was $1.60.......contractor price $1.44........torqued-off oven builder price $1.24!!! Now I just need to make the trip again to return the fireclay.......joy. At least it is on my way to Marjon ceramic supply where I can get fireclay.

Good eyes Maseuss, yup that is a gas line. I had to relocate it from the back left corner of the oven. When I built the house I buried a 250 gal LP tank in the fron yard and ran gas lines where I thought I might need them. This one was for a gas BBQ years ago, haven't used it since getting my Big Green Egg. I decided to come off the existing valve with an elbow and stub it out in the front of the oven. I did not want to unscrew the existing valve since I had no way to keep the innerwall pipe from turning....hence possible gas leak!!! I formed out around the valve to keep it accessible. Probably never use it.

OK, no mortaring of the floor whatsoever......good point, that would screw up the expansion capability. I'll just try and avoid small pieces, at the cost of altering the herringbone pattern a bit.

I am shoehorning this 42 inch oven into the available space. It will only leave 3 inches from the uninsulated dome to the house wall, but only at two tangency points. Plan on at least 3 inches of ceramic blanket, but might double it since it is cheap.......$35........pick-up price. The house wall is 1/2 inch stucco over 1 inch styrofoam and then the structure is urethane core structural panels.....so, shouldn't be an issue. The depth of the slab was limited to 63 inches because of the window. So I am left with 12 inches from the face of the inner arch to the edge of the slab, should be barely enough, but still laying things out.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Gordy

Comment

Great to see another build in Arizona! I'm in Glendale, and I wish I had your view to go with my oven! I was going to recommend Marvel...they did right by me. I bought the beige firebricks from them for my floor and so far they work well. I bought my powdered fire clay there too. I wish I had some advice to help with your build, but I went with an old-school cob-style oven. You'll find lots of great advice here...can't wait to see yours when it's done!

Comment

Moovebuff,

I've finally assembled all the materials to get me through the dome phase. Like so many others I have other trumping obligations. Lately I have been helping a good friend complete some of the woodwork in his new restaurant he will be opening in a few weeks.

The view will be very complimenting to the oven location. I fretted forever trying to decide where to locate it. I briefly considered the back patio but didn't think there was enough room. Finally it just seemed like the best place for a lot of reasons. It will be a squeeze, and I will be tight on clearances to the house but I will take all the insulating steps to insure safety.

My current mind occupying decision is the dome shape. I pretty much want the 21" high with the 12" opening but am waffling with to soldier or not to soldier. Complexity/ geometry is not an issue, since there is tons of info/experts here to help. I'm going to build the dome and then the accompanying entry/vent.

My Italian friend with the restaurant has had some good input on my design considerations. Mostly the decision to completely face the inner arch with steel for durability. Many here have said the bricks are easy to chip at the entry arch. I am looking to go for a much larger exposed face than the common 1 inch. So, the inner arch and face will be completely covered by a steel weldment, maybe stainless. Upon reading many of the threads describing what many would do different, I have decided to eliminate any firebrick in the entry since they stain easily, or at least the floor. I'm thinking a custom cut thick piece of granite would be nice. Gee, and I thought I was just going to BUILD an oven. Many facets to the journey.................not just having a finished oven.

Take care!

Gordy

Comment

It can be as simple or as complicated as you want. I am not sure about a solid steel lining around in the inner arch (if that is what you mean). Others may know better but it may create some issues with metal heating at a different rate than the masonry.

I am sure that someone here will know for sure. I like the KISS theory myself.
            Last edited by Greenman; 04-10-2014, 01:19 AM.
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Greenman,

Point well taken. I for sure will consider the difference in thermal expansion and leave a gap between the steel arch and the brick arch. Haven't done any calcs yet but I'm thinking around a 1/4 inch gap should suffice. The steel will become heat soaked way before the brick and would expand first making a gap necessary. The steel weldment would consist of an arch welded to a face plate. The face plate would then extend down to the concrete with welded feet in which it would be anchored. Of course this is all just being considered at this point. This might be a good way to incorporate a thermal break as well. I'm not trying to make it complicated, but just considering all the input from others comments on what they would do differently.

I have decided against the soldier coarse mainly for all the same reasons as others.

Somebody mentioned that their peel would sometimes get stuck in the joint where the floor met the top of the first coarse, so I am going to start with a split for the first coarse.

One concern is my current layout only allows 3 inches from the back of the oven to the stucco wall. I think I will increase this to 4 for a little more peace of mind. This comes at the cost of landing space. I am planning on a 1 brick wide flue by about 18 inches wide transitioning into the 8 inch chimney pipe.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

Gordy

Comment

Gordy - Sounds like you are on top of the deal. Will watch with interest. Good luck.
                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

OK, finally a weekend where I can work on MY project, so get ready for the questions! Thanks in advance for all the help I know I am going to get here.

I've decided to start the first three and 1/2 courses vertical and then begin the dome profile. Starting with a split first to avoid a joint in the plane of the floor in which a peel might get caught. So today I am starting with cutting out the two layers of FB (4 inches) and will try to get the hearth bricks cut and laid. Since the dome will be within 5 inches of the house wall (at two tangent lines) I was thinking about using the FB scraps between the dome and wall, cut to fit nicely. I'm only speculating that the rigid insulation value is greater than the blanket, just need to figure out how to tie in the blanket to the rigid. Looking forward to any and all comments.

How does one keep a consistent mortar joint? Notch trowel, or would that result in too many voids??

Gordy

Comment

Working...
                  X