Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to WFO's fare in earthquake country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: How to WFO's fare in earthquake country?

Originally posted by Paul_H View Post
    . Perhaps I'm completely over thinking it as if the domes can survive being bounced around on a trailer.....
    I think you hit the nail on the head here...but you are in like company.

If an earthquake shook a unitary dome apart, at least you still have the material to work with, and they are fairly easy to rebuild. It's the surrounding structure (enclosure) that would be a hassle to rebuild, depending on how elaborate you went with it.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_H
    replied

I'm not looking for a specific code to build to, I'm just wondering if anyone who has built a WFO has had issues with it being damaged by a moderate earthquake. As far as need, certainly I don't need to build an outside oven to such a code, but again I'd hate to put 1000's of dollars and hundreds of hours into a project I plan to enjoy for upwards of 20 years if it will be damaged by a moderate earthquake which I know for a fact it will be exposed to several times in that 20 year time frame.

That and I'm debating building a brick oven vs. purchasing a FB kit with a cast refractory dome. I'm trying to figure out where the value of my time offsets the added purchase price of a dome, and if a cast dome would fare better in an earthquake then that would further lean me in that direction. However I've read several threads where people have had issues with cracks with the kits so I'm a bit hesitant to plunk down the coin if I can build a more durable dome myself.

As far as there being nothing one could do, well a support structure that has some flex and can isolate some of the lateral loads would certainly help. Perhaps I'm completely over thinking it as if the domes can survive being bounced around on a trailer or catering truck they should be able to handle the occasional moderate quake.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

What exactly are you looking for? For the most part, everyone on here is an amateur mason, and has zero experience building masonry structures built to seismic code, using the components used in those types of structures. The number 1 reason is because it's not necessary.

To be honest, there isn't much you can do different than what the plans call for, and that's is probably why you got the recommendation to build to the FB spec.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It is a dome.....

Leave a comment:

• Paul_H
    replied

I don't know what you're experience is with earthquakes, but masonary structures tend not to fair well in them. I'm sure the base support with rebar reinforced concrete would do well, but unless I'm missing something the dome does not have such a support and I would imagine strong lateral loads could do a number on the dome.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

If you build it to the Forno Bravo plans, you can use it for a shelter in case of an earthquake.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_H
    started a topic How to WFO's fare in earthquake country?

How to WFO's fare in earthquake country?

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post in, but I see quite a few members in CA and wanted to know if anyone has input on how a WFO will fair in an earthquake? I grew up in CA and lived about 50 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake at the time. That said, Alaska is an order of magnitude more seismicly active. 4.0-4.5 quakes are just about a given at least once a year, and I have no doubt in the next 10-20 years we'll have something between 5.0 and 6.0.

I don't want to build something that will withstand every possible quake scenario, but I'd hate to put 1000's of dollars and 100's of hours of effort into building a stove and have it damaged to a the point it would need to be replaced within a couple years of completing it.
Working...
X