Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to WFO's fare in earthquake country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to WFO's fare in earthquake country?

Your house is probably more likely to collapse before your pizza oven dome. Do you have earthquake insurance on that? I bet like most people, the answer is no.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

DeeJayoh,

I'm not sure who that question was directed at but: Yes, I have earthquake insurance. Just because I can afford it and feel at my age I lack both the time and energy to build a new home (spent 4 years building this one.... and some will rightfully claim: "It's not finished yet!" But it's ours and was the day we moved in, no bankers, no mortgage :-)

Besides if "The Big One" actually occurs I expect there will be quite a shortage of materials and labor to construct a new one. We will probably all end up with a FEMA trailer, ugh!

Bests,
      Wiley
      Last edited by Wiley; 03-25-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

It's only a matter of time before we'll get hit again and be able to assess the quake-worthiness of our ovens...
        Well, we just got hit again, only this time the epicenter was directly underneath us. After a few seconds of building, the house started (loudly) violently shaking vertically and it sounded like the windows were going to break. The magnitude (5.3) was strong enough to make the closet hanger bars come down, but other than that, just lost mantel objects and a few pictures blown off the walls.

I ran out to check the oven, but will have to wait til morning to see if there's any visible damage.

Comment

Yep, John you were really close to the epicenter and the depth was very shallow. We felt it here as 20 seconds of movement. I'm happy to hear that you and your family are doing Ok.

Chris

Comment

Glad you are okay and damage is minimal. We are in earthquake country too so and have not had a major one in a long time so knock on wood. Sounds like some brick and utility damage so far hoping no deaths. Best of luck.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks guys. Because of our proximity to the epicenter (2mi) the aftershocks (about every 90min) have become become tedious and tiresome, especially after not sleeping last night. Their intensity and duration last just long enough for us to jump up in case we have to flee.

I checked the oven interior closely and found no visible cracks. My guess is that the dome was between 250-300F after a pizza session last wednesday. I wonder if the oven's residual heat contributed any elasticity and not cracking.

My brother, who happens to live .5mi from the epicenter was not so lucky. Its interesting to note that the bricks in his chimney, without the weight and support a dome provides, would simply shear off in compression the way they did. He did confirm that the 'insulation' between the flue and outer bricks is ordinary portland cement. It's no wonder California code calls for framed houses.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                Well, we just got hit again, only this time the epicenter was directly underneath us. After a few seconds of building, the house started (loudly) violently shaking vertically and it sounded like the windows were going to break. The magnitude (5.3) was strong enough to make the closet hanger bars come down, but other than that, just lost mantel objects and a few pictures blown off the walls.

I ran out to check the oven, but will have to wait til morning to see if there's any visible damage.
                I guess if its not snow and cold its earhquakes, hope you masterpiece is still good to go. Wayne

Comment

Working...
                X