Mike's Northern Virginia Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike's Northern Virginia Build

Finally getting started!! Will be prepping and pouring the foundation on Tue and Wed, 22/23 April. I would like to get some opinions on my layout. I am a sketch up dummy and can't seem to make it do what I want. I laid my plan out in MS Paint and have attached it. I have some leeway to adjust my layout if needed.

The brown line represents a slanted railroad tie retaining wall. It, and the black lines represent the outline of my foundation pour. The red lines are in there to help me visualize my "oven foundation footprint". I intend to build a enclosed oven on the red/black rectangle, and currently plan on a concrete counter running most of the way from the oven to the other end. I want to leave my stand alone grill as a stand alone on the end since I move it, and use it for cup-de-sac events. I also think I want to leave the left rear triangle area open from the top (no counter behind the enclosure) so I can store tools/and or an ash bucket out of view. Does this make sense? Should my dimensions change a little? How would you lay out the concrete blocks? Thanks and I am sure I will have many more questions as I proceed. All measurements are in feet, and are clearly not to scale.........
    Last edited by Mdog91; 04-20-2014, 06:12 AM. Reason: additional information

Re: Mike's Northern Virginia Build

Well it is a good day when you officially get started. My project started one month ago. I have officially been working on it for about 7-8 days since it has been on the weekends. Doing projects like these are really satisfying. Good luck with yours.

One thing that I learned regarding my blocks was simply that you could cut it in just about any way you need. I didn't use Gray Block but nothing is more forgiving than that. Make sure you don't skimp on the slab. My stand was almost 8000 lbs of block. This is before the actual pizza oven. The point, these things are HEAVY. Follow the 5.5 inch Slab guideline is my opinion.

I would lay out the block for the oven and then build around it. But that is not a requirement.
    I drew mine out by hand and included all measurements to get a good idea of what it would be like. That might help.
    Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Built the foundation over the last two days with some friends. 1st pic is 5" of gravel and masonry sand (we mixed and smoothed it more than it shows). 2nd pic is a little more than 1/2 poured. We had #10 wire mesh in the entire thing with 1/2" rebar in the oven area. 3rd pic is the finished slab after I took the forms off today and smoothed out the dirt. I had two friends that work for a concrete contractor helping me out. Final slab thickness under the oven area is approx 5.5" and the part for the counter and regular grill is 4". I am keeping the slab covered with plastic and misting it for a week. I am ordering all of my base/hearth materials tomorrow. I think I have settled on a traditional base, based on the FB plans. I have decided to build a 34" oven and will have a base/hearth of 55"x66". This should give me an 8" vent and 10" landing, with room for 3" of blanket and a steel frame enclosure. I will tie in the counter area to the right after the oven is built. (oven is going on the far end of the photo)

I was tired and dirty, will try to take more and better pictures as I continue.

Comment

looks good....You will have to share the concept drawing with us, but it looks like oven on the left side and storage, BBQ grill or counter space on the right?

I also realize it is a lot bigger than we can tell in the pics.

Good times. Any beer sluggin with that first effort? lol
        Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Thanks Novaslo, yes there was plenty of beer slugging afterwards, well some during as well...

I attached a concept design that I found on the forum in the past (I apologize that I cannot remember who posted it and give them proper credit). I sure didn't create it. I am doing something similar, except I am doing a pitched roof on the oven and I will not have a sink and grill built in. I am putting my stand alone grill on the right end. The rest will be counter prep area. I will also be facing it with brick and plan slate tile counters like Les'.

You are correct, it is much larger than the pictures look. The dimensions are accurate on the sketch in my first post of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mdog91 View Post
            Finally getting started!! I also think I want to leave the left rear triangle area open from the top (no counter behind the enclosure) so I can store tools/and or an ash bucket out of view. Does this make sense?
            Good idea there. I would encourage you to consider an entryway or cavity at the back of your oven base too. It hardly adds anything in material or the complexity of the build and would be very handy in the future. I regret building a long cavernous space underneith the oven with access from just one side - total waste of space.

Good Luck
            AT

Comment

M Dog,

Nice start, curious, why 34", at least by my calcs you could go larger if you wish. Size of oven is always a hot topic on this forum.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                M Dog,

Nice start, curious, why 34", at least by my calcs you could go larger if you wish. Size of oven is always a hot topic on this forum.
                Great question, I think I can go larger as well. I may go to 36" once I start playing around with the base blocks and such. My wife wants an enclosure with a doghouse or pitched roof, and I want to make sure I have the room for it to look right. Currently I am planning on leaving a 2" reveal on the left side of the foundation (will finish the enclosure with brick veneer), this will reduce the depth that I can go while keeping the enclosure "square' due to the retaining wall butting up against the right rear of the oven enclosure. Once I outline the block and begin to shift it around I will see how much room I actually have. I also think the vent and oven landing sizes in the plans are confusing me. The plans for a 36" tell me that I need 70" depth for a 6"vent and 12" landing (and the oven, insulation, walls etc). I am going to make a cardboard mock up and see what i can work out.

It wouldn't surprise me if I end up going with a 36" instead.

Thanks for the feedback.
                Mike
                Last edited by Mdog91; 04-24-2014, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Hey Mike - I made mine 36" and am happy with that. Were I to go again I would stick with that but no smaller.
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like a 36" is the way to go as long as I can fit it the way that I want to.

Two questions......

Where is the vent opening measured along the dome? I imagine that it is measured along the inside edge. Is this correct? The recommended opening for the 36" is 19 inches wide, and I want to make sure I have it aligned and laid out properly.....

I think I can fit a 36" on a 56"x66" hearth slab and still make it an enclosed oven if I strategically place the studs. With 3" of insulation, I calculate 2.5" per side for the stud/durock at the closest edge of the oven. If the studs are placed in front or behind the widest point I think it should work. Has anyone built a 36" on narrower hearth slab?

Thanks!

Comment

Inside of inner arch. Use your IT to define intersecting points.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                        Inside of inner arch. Use your IT to define intersecting points.

Thanks, great picture explanation!......That makes the design of the mock up easier. I thought I saw that picture while reviewing your build in the past, but couldn't recall it as I sketched out my layout.

Concrete blocks and cement mix, and other supplies are getting delivered tomorrow (I have a small VW Golf.....), can't wait to start building.

Comment

Received my material delivery today, still need to get some 8"blocks (or cut a few). Did a quick layout of the base and think I have settled on it. I know ATK406 and a few others advocate some additional storage and I appreciate the suggestion. Picture 3 is right next to the oven and is where I will store the majority of my wood. Due to the appearance of the oven from the neighbors point of view (left side), I think I will just have a small opening in the front for a few fires worth of wood. Picture 1 is the basic layout and will have a 56x70 hearth slab so I will proceed with a 36" build! Whoo Hoo! Picture 2 shows the layout from above, the rear triangle will remain open to the top and will store an ash can and some tools or a wood splitting block.

The forecast is for rain the next three days, so I will have to wait to level and mortar the base course. I will work on an OSB oven floor layout and attempt to build an IT or plywood form in the meantime.

Thanks for the feedback, love this forum, so much information here! Like many others before they started, I have never laid a brick before. This forum gives me the confidence that I will be able to complete this oven and finally enjoy some great pizza from home

Comment

I am going to set and level the first course of block with mortar today.

How long do I need to wait before I dry stack the remaining base blocks? I do not intend to mortar anything except the first course. Thanks.

Comment

Leveled the base course with mortar yesterday. Dry stacked the rest today. Happy to report it is square and pretty level.

The FB plans just show concrete with rebar in every other core, the rebar is straight and looks like it sticks up about 1.5 - 2 inches. The hearth grid is also straight rebar that is tied together and tied to the core rebar.

A lot of the builds on this site have bent rebar from the cores to the hearth grid.

I have 10' sections of 1/2" rebar and do not have a bender, I don't even have a pipe to attempt it with.

Is there anything wrong with the rebar being straight and just tied together?

Comment

Working...
                              X