40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY

7 hours later the outside of the 1" ceramic blanket is low 90 degrees. Outside surface of the bricks are around 210-220 towards the top of the dome, and inside the oven it is around 210-250 depending where you point the IR thermometer gun. The makeshift door using the arch form has a few gaps and it's only 3" thick plywood without insulation. Not feeling any further moisture in the ceramic blanket so maybe most of the water has been driven off since the outer brick surface appears to be over 212?
    Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
    40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

G'day Tony
      I hear the excitement in your voice... Don't pull that trigger yet . There is still moisture deep in that oven. Let it cool between firings and that deep water will have the time to migrate to the dryer surface.
      If you wrap that temporary door up with aluminum foil it will give you a crude but effective protection against the heat.
      Nice work by the way
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I'm pretty excited for you!!! Looks great too, can't wait to hear how it works!

One quick question, are you leaving those shims between the dome and floor or what's going on there?
        Last edited by huskerduck; 11-10-2014, 06:25 AM.
        Build
        http://dudecaves.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6

Comment

Thanks Dave! Will do on the patience.. gosh it's hard. Will put some Al foil on the makeshift door.

Originally posted by huskerduck View Post
          I'm pretty excited for you!!! Looks great too, can't wait to hear how it works!

One quick question, are you leaving those shims between the dome and floor or what's going on there?
          Oh the little bits of cardboard. I put those in to keep the floor bricks nice and tight for now. I have a 1/16-1/8" gap between the oven floor bricks and the entry bricks which I figured I would just let fill with ash. My floor is thicker than the landing so the rigid insulation below the landing bricks is pressing up against the floor bricks but I was just being my usual overly cautious self and making sure the floor bricks didn't shift while that gap is still open.
          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyp View Post
            Thanks Dave! Will do on the patience.. gosh it's hard. Will put some Al foil on the makeshift door.

Oh the little bits of cardboard. I put those in to keep the floor bricks nice and tight for now. I have a 1/16-1/8" gap between the oven floor bricks and the entry bricks which I figured I would just let fill with ash. My floor is thicker than the landing so the rigid insulation below the landing bricks is pressing up against the floor bricks but I was just being my usual overly cautious self and making sure the floor bricks didn't shift while that gap is still open.
            Ok, gotcha, I just saw flames and shims and thought they were brick shims and thought you had read something somewhere about something important I may have missed. My IT I built has a simpson hanger L Bracket and its just under 1/8" so I used that as a very small expansion joint around the floor. If I were to ever do another one of these, I think I would build the dome on the floor to speed things up. I have a 14" demo saw that would cut around the dome in a couple minutes...... live and learn on my end.

I can certainly see where people are finding romance in building these ovens, had I built it 25 years ago I would probably be enjoying the project immensely, I'm really jealous of the stage you're at, that part seems like it's fun!
            Build
            http://dudecaves.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6

Comment

Opened up the oven and have the small heater blowing into the oven on fan only. Think I will give it 5-6 hours and maybe refire along the same lines as last time with the charcoal and occasional small bits of twig. On a side note, I have noticed the flue drafts better when there is at least some flame going. Otherwise the pipe actually cools down from the air flow and draft is a little sluggish with just the coals burning.
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by huskerduck View Post
                Ok, gotcha, I just saw flames and shims and thought they were brick shims and thought you had read something somewhere about something important I may have missed. My IT I built has a simpson hanger L Bracket and its just under 1/8" so I used that as a very small expansion joint around the floor. If I were to ever do another one of these, I think I would build the dome on the floor to speed things up. I have a 14" demo saw that would cut around the dome in a couple minutes...... live and learn on my end.

I can certainly see where people are finding romance in building these ovens, had I built it 25 years ago I would probably be enjoying the project immensely, I'm really jealous of the stage you're at, that part seems like it's fun!
                Ahh I built mine with the dome outside the floor also. Talk about crazy number of cuts and odd shaped pieces to fit a herring bone pattern of rectangular bricks into a round hole!

I put in a strip of cardboard between the floor bricks and the dome to leave a small gap. The theory is the cardboard will eventually just burn up and the gap will then fill with ash.

Very exciting for sure! I was just having some leftovers for dinner last night and I looked at the toaster oven, then at the WFO and thought to myself.. well why not! Tossed them into a small pan and onto the floor of the WFO which was around 450 degrees. They were sizzling in no time.
                Tony

Comment

oooooh I am officially in love with my oven. Fired it up today with more lump charcoal and a few twigs of wood after letting it cool down to around 150. The wife said lets make Indian for dinner and use up some of that jarred sauce someone gave us (usually I make it from scratch). So how could I say no? Ran out and got more charcoal..

Mixed up a batch of Naan dough and after some fresh ginger and garlic as well as some other spices, the jar sauce was pretty acceptable.

Oven was around 550. Hotter than my gas oven but not as hot as I would like to go for Naan. Solid first attempt though. Would love to toss it onto the wall of the oven right over the coals! Holy smokes though is it hot in there and that oven wall is looking like a mighty far reach! Pretty sure my knuckles have some mild first degree burns now..Think I need one of them tools they use for the Tandoor to attempt sticking it on the side, so for now it's toss onto the hearth and flip em.
                  Tony

Comment

I am officially in love with my oven
                    I know what you mean. Over time I think you will get even a deeper respect for its cooking properties. I know I'm convinced that generations hundreds of years ago probably ate better food than we do today. Not nearly as convenient as gas, but the properties of brick oven cooking are fast becoming very popular here in higher-end Southern California restaurants.

BTW- did you know they sell tandoori mitts to cook naan with?

Great job with your oven, Tony.

John

Comment

Thanks for the comments John! I am looking forward to roasting, baking, slow cooking etc!

The metal I ordered for the insulated door should be here by the end of the week so I can start fabricating. I also found a really neat product that will allow me to basically solder the stainless steel, but has a melting temperature of 1150 degrees f. So it will take the oven heat without coming 'undone'.
                      Tony

Comment

So far so good.. Roasted some split cornish game hen tonight. Started the oven on charcoal and some small sticks when it was up around 350 put in the hens and slowly added more wood. Had a small sized fire going and was hitting around 660 at the top of the dome by the time the birds were done, 90 min. later. Glazed them with a peach sauce with some herbs butter and sherry. Rotated the pan every 15 min. or so.

I let the fire burn down after the birds came out. Haven't brought it to pizza temperature yet. That will be tomorrow night!
                        Last edited by Tonyp; 11-15-2014, 09:36 PM.
                        Tony

Comment

Nice oven Tonyp!
                          Good job

Comment

Nice Job!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys ;> It's coming along. Have to finish putting on the ceramic blanket and build the insulating door and the spark screen now that the supplies have arrived. Fired the oven a couple times to make pizza. The firestop caulking is kind of smelly when hot.. hopefully that goes away with some use. The flue catches about 99% of the exhaust from the oven although the other day I had a much bigger fire and some fumes were escaping out the front but it was just a little and when the oven was still pretty cold. I prefer to fire with smaller fires and just give it time to heat properly anyway. Have to upload some photos of my latest cooking adventures!
                              Tony

Comment

At least indoors you will probably not find your dog cornering a porky pine like I did .!!!
                                The dog may be getting smarter ,,no quills ...this time !

Comment

Working...
                                X