X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY

Could you elaborate on this
    Originally posted by Tonyp View Post
    Hi Guys! I find that about 2 hours into heating the oven the dome is 750ish and clearing nicely and the floor is reading 650 or so. I think the main concern was the extra thick floor would continue to suck heat from the surface while a thinner floor would reach saturation faster. I can't say this has been an issue. Based on the temperature gauges in the floor vs the dome, the dome heats faster, but even after a couple hours the temperature of both the dome and the floor are about 500 1/2" into the surface of the brick. So anyone thinking they have saturated a 2.5" thick floor after a couple hours is mistaken and going to have the same potential issue of heat moving from the floor surface into the interior whether it's 2.5" or 5" thick.
    Do you mean one can start cooking the same time from the match in both 2.5" and 5" hearth? I mean regardless of saturating?
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by v12spirit View Post
      Could you elaborate on this

Do you mean one can start cooking the same time from the match in both 2.5" and 5" hearth? I mean regardless of saturating?
      That's what I am saying!

I don't see any evidence that the extra thick hearth is pulling excessive heat from the surface and requiring extra time to heat to pizza cooking temperature. Based on my experience so far with the temperature penetration into firebrick I suspect that most people with the usual 2.25-2.5" hearth are cooking long before their hearth is fully saturated. Hence are losing heat to the brick interior at the same rate my thicker hearth is. Granted I will experience this for a longer period vs someone that has a thinner hearth and is cooking pizza's for many hours but so what. The radiant heat from the dome and the active fire are plenty hot enough to keep up with heat loss to the brick interior and maintain the hearth surface easily at 750-800 without much effort.
      Last edited by Tonyp; 12-31-2014, 08:51 PM.
      Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
      40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

What diameter stove pipe did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by markmark1 View Post
          What diameter stove pipe did you use?
          Hi Mark,
          I have a 6" diameter stove pipe. There is about 25' of pipe from the oven to the top of the chimney. It drafts well, to the point where the pipe is quite cool if there isn't much more than embers in the oven. At some point I am going to redesign the area between the oven and outer arch though, so it does a better job catching the exhaust when I have a big fire going. A little bit of soot sneaks out here and there but otherwise no complaints. There was a calculator on the forum here somewhere that helped figure out the chimney draw based on pipe diameter, length and temperature.
          Tony

Comment

Nice. I'll see if I can find that calculator. I'd love to get away with a 6". I'll be around 18ft chimney. My engineer is spec'ing triple wall and 8" is twice the price of 6"!

How would you change the transition area to improve exhaust removal?

Comment

Hi Mark,

Found the flow calculator
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ator-3905.html

My thoughts on the entry: I notice when the fire is wrapping around the dome from one side to the other, some smoke/soot will exit the dome arch towards the bottom. It then rises up and hits the angled bricks. I was thinking I would increase the vertical height of the transition area side walls by two or three bricks, before angling them inward. This would allow the smoke/soot more room to go vertically up into a larger chamber above the top of the arches. The higher side walls would also give more of a lip protruding beyond the inside edge of the transition area bricks for the smoke to bump up against. This should make it harder for it to sneak past the outer arch and allow the flue to catch it better.
              Tony

Comment

Thanks Tony!

Your thoughts on the transition area make sense to me.

Comment

Is the theory that the longer the chimney the greater the draft? (other factors being equal)

Comment

Originally posted by markmark1 View Post
                    Is the theory that the longer the chimney the greater the draft? (other factors being equal)
                    Well I am not a chimney expert but from my understanding a number of factors contribute to draft and length is one. I would think though at some point making it longer would have less and less effect on draft and diameter would become the limiting factor? I know from indoor stoves and fireplaces, to achieve proper draft the chimney must be taller than the roof line within a certain distance from the chimney.
                    Tony

Comment

Hello Tony

I was wondering how your oven is doing in the kitchen. Having been using mine for a while now I find that there is quiet a bit of heat at the oven entrance at Pizza temperatures.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X