Home Brew Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Brew Mortar

In my area the only high heat mortar I can find is Firerock...seems like a conspiracy among the vendors (actually, the product is manufactured about 20 miles from my residence). And since opinions are all over the place on Firerock, I'm thinking of going with home brew mortar.

Question: Can the home brew mortar ingredients be dry mixed in advance and used as needed? I've searched and searched these forums and cannot find the answer. I saw several comments about not mixing it until ready for use, but that seems to be implying not mixing it with water until you are ready....rather than not mixing the dry ingredients.

Re: Home Brew Mortar

You can dry mix in advanced. If it's sitting for a long period of time I would re-mix it a little prior to adding water
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Sorry to but it but I have worked with cement for years and would never mix it dry fir later use unless the water was going to be added no later than 10 minuets later cement goes off in air atmosphere I wouldn't even use a openbag Left open to the elements over night keep it sealed ! And mix as needed
      link to my effort http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/7...art-20707.html

"95% reading this forum 5% building"

Comment

Originally posted by edsiajb View Post
        In my area the only high heat mortar I can find is Firerock...seems like a conspiracy among the vendors (actually, the product is manufactured about 20 miles from my residence). And since opinions are all over the place on Firerock, I'm thinking of going with home brew mortar.

Question: Can the home brew mortar ingredients be dry mixed in advance and used as needed? I've searched and searched these forums and cannot find the answer. I saw several comments about not mixing it until ready for use, but that seems to be implying not mixing it with water until you are ready....rather than not mixing the dry ingredients.
        How much of a duration between dry mixing and usage are you talking about? Depending on the weather and humidity level, you would be alright if you dry mixed all the bagged components, lime, clay and Portland. Put it in a 5gallon bucket, then plastic the top and tape it until your ready. I wouldn't mix the sand, because it will have water in it. You could use bagged sand though.

All that said, I don't think you'll save any time doing this.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

I often dry mix my materials, but reserve the addition of the cement until the mix's final use. You must make sure the sand is fully dry. I usually do this by spreading it out thinly, leaving it to dry in the sun for a couple of days and then storing it in sealed bins.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X