Average construction hrs for pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average construction hrs for pompeii

I am in the planning phase of my Pompeii project. I'd like some info regarding the average hours involved from start of construction to completion - not including exterior finish work.

I am a DIY'er with average masonry experience.

Thanks very much.

Re: Average construction hrs for pompeii

Did anyone count? The problem with this question is that everyone's oven is different, and most of us are squeezing a few hours out between weekend errands.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

You got that right Dave! After work last night, while I was putting down pavers, I was thinking about my oven - does that count as time spent?
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Brian, great question, but really hard to answer. I started excavation in May last year, and was pretty well done by August. No idea how many hours. These usually are built along with other yard changes - we placed pavers also, which took some of the time, as did some of my landscaping. I still have some brickwork to do on the fascia of the base, as well as grinding my concrete countertop and making a fireplace to extend the patio season. The design style (especially the enclosure) determine this. The foundation, stand, and dome were pretty quick, probably finished within a month (just with the free time I could come up with). If I include time researching and learning about these the oven on this website it probably doubles.

Comment

Agreed. There is calendar time, and then there are man hours. My first oven was interrupted by a house extension, so it was left untouched for months. I didn't count hours -- I think I was afraid to. I was completely inexperienced with masonry, so even the basics of the foundation and the stand were a big learning curve. I think everyone would agree how important the learning curve is, and how much faster a second oven would go compared with the first.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Folks - Thanks for the feedback.

I am just looking for a rough estimate man hours. I'm in the same situation as I am building a flagstone patio as part of this project.

I am taking before pictures now so I can document the whole project.

Another area where I am a little confused is related to venting. The instructions suggest a rectangular clay refractory liner as an alternative. Where would I purchase a liner? Do most masonry supply companies sell these liners? Is there an online site you recommend?

Thanks again for the support!

Comment

This is the stuff - 8 inch square refractory flue tile:

Shown here sitting on top of my home made funnel, made of bigger pieces of the same stuff.

It's heavy and fragile. Not a good combination for mail order. Try to find it locally.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
              X