Pompeii indoor ovnen build in Norway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii indoor ovnen build in Norway

This summer I'm starting to build an indoor pompeii oven in a garden house by my house.

I'm planning to use the 42" plans from this site but I've got into a problem I can't solve.

In the plans the chimney is carried by an arch.
    I understand that this is not a problem with the short chimney an outdoor oven needs, but I need a 2.5 meters chimney (8 feet) and I'll guess the weight will be to much for the arch.

Does anyone here have a solution for this?

Kind regards,
    Bjorn

Re: Pompeii indoor ovnen build in Norway

Double walled metal flue?

Comment

Like Tscarborough said, a double-walled chimney system is probably the way to go. Look at the DuraTech product catalog, they have all kinds of mounting options. Depending on the roof, you may only need a simple support bracket to tie the whole thing to the rafters. Only downside is the price.

Another option would be to do something custom. Look at GianniFocaccia's build, he has a stainless steel chimney that is supported by steel studs, IIRC. I don't know what you would have to do to get it through the roof without creating a fire hazard. The nice thing about the double-wall system is that it only requires 2" of clearance.

Comment

You can look at Gulf's thread, he has a substantial brick chimney.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/mi...tml#post127324
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

G'day
          All the weight does not need to be taken by the arch as it can be fixed at the point that it penetrates the roof. As pointed out a double skinned chimney is the preferred type
          Regards fave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Nothing to add to the inputs above. Just interested in indoor builds. Please post pictures.
            Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

I designed in a "settling chamber" for the smoke to enter before it goes up and out the chimney. This settling chamber provides a staging area for the smoke to gather before it gets pulled up the chimney. If there is no wind, it really doesnt matter. But if there is the slightest wind, then this settling chamber works great.

Attached is a rough picture of what I am talking about.

My clay chimney flue is 8" x 8" x 30" long and is fairly heavy. The flue rests on two pieces of steel angle, which rest on vertical brick walls.

There are many pictures of ovens on the FB website with black soot on the front of the oven, which is indicative of a poorly designed chimney.

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions!

I'll go for the double walled steel chimney solution.
                I found a supplier for these in Norway.

The 8 feet chimney with inner diameter of 7.5 inches is at 60lbs and that should be no problems to support.
                The chimney is insulated with 2.5 inches of superwool and they also sell fireproof through the roof fittings.

Do you think the 7.5 inches is wide enough?
                Last edited by Beron; 06-20-2014, 07:16 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Jeepipper : I liked your steel angle solution. Thanks for the drawing!

Comment

Originally posted by jeeppiper View Post
                    I designed in a "settling chamber" for the smoke to enter before it goes up and out the chimney.
                    Jeepiper,

Where is the golden ratio applied, at the outer opening, or at the vent bottom?
                    The outer opening looks lower than the vent bottom.
                    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
                    I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by Beron View Post
                      Thank you all for the helpful suggestions!

I'll go for the double walled steel chimney solution.
                      I found a supplier for these in Norway.

The 8 feet chimney with inner diameter of 7.5 inches is at 60lbs and that should be no problems to support.
                      The chimney is insulated with 2.5 inches of superwool and they also sell fireproof through the roof fittings.

Do you think the 7.5 inches is wide enough?
                      How will you attach the chimney to your oven? I'm about 2 weeks away from building my outer arch and need to find a steel chimney solution here in Norway.
                      Last edited by Steellearning; 06-24-2014, 06:51 AM.
                      My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...way-19491.html

Comment

Working...
                      X