New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Thanks for the tip I didn't even notice, I will need o be more careful going forward. I was pretty sure that I had them lined up so not sure what happened other than perhaps I didn't let them set enough before putting in the next brick.

My kids have returned from their trip with my parents so now I have to work around my job, and the kids sleep schedule. Hoping to get it done soon though so I can start curing. Arch will be next.

Comment

T,
      It will help if you try to set one brick for the next row as you finish for the day, lunch, or any extended breaks. ([B]This tip is thanks to Tu in N'awlins[/B]). That brick should be placed in the very back, dead center. From it, set your brick alternating from left to right until you meet your interior arch. If you alternate, the brick before, will be firmly set before placement of the next brick that you lay.

Also, (just a little tip from me), for cutting your brick with the "brick set": Try placing the brick to be cut on a firm surface. I usually just use a scaffold board near where it crosses a sawhorse or scaffold buck. (For some of the trickier face brick), you might want to place a thin bed of sand underneath) Mark the cut that you want, lightly, all the way around the brick, using the hammer and the set to make a slight impression all the way around the four sides of the brick. Then knock the hll out of it on one of the longest sides . With a little practice, you will be cutting brick with some precision .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Finally got some time to work on the oven on the weekend. I got my next course started and then attempted cutting the arch bricks. I had to make a second IT that was just a rod without the wood pieces as I found it easier to mark the brick. However this didn't go well. I marked the location of the bottom of the brick as also the top of the brick and then marked a line down to make the two meet on the sides of the brick. I used my grinder to shape the brick but it didn't turn out. I'm going to attempt this again Th is week and use the IT to get the slop correctly drawn. If that fails I might just have to go with split bricks and just do it the old way.

Comment

For making some of the cuts that need to be smooth I bought2 diamond blades for my grinder. One is segmented and the other is continuous. Both are good for wet or dry applications and were the same price. Will one work better than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
            For making some of the cuts that need to be smooth I bought2 diamond blades for my grinder. One is segmented and the other is continuous. Both are good for wet or dry applications and were the same price. Will one work better than the other?
            I have both and can't see any difference, but you need to wet your bricks
            to reduce glass build up on the blade. It also helps to cut in to cinder block or concrete to remove build up on the blade.
            My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...way-19491.html

Comment

So I got a bit of work done on the weekend, though looking at some pictures it appears that my work is a bit sloppy, with edges not meeting up correctly. I'm wondering if I should be tearing out bricks or is it more just aesthetics? If it'll functionally work I'm ok with that but if it won't Im willing to tear out bricks.

How long should I keep my arch form in place? I seem to recall reading 3 days. It's been super humid around here, I'm guessing humidity around 90-100% for several days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140816_141302.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	305659
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20140816_103315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	305660

Comment

G'day
                Don't be to hard on yourself. Building with just an angle grinder is not easy, or perfect. But be assured you'll end up with dome which is one of the strongest building structures on the planet.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  G'day
                  Don't be to hard on yourself. Building with just an angle grinder is not easy, or perfect. But be assured you'll end up with dome which is one of the strongest building structures on the planet.
                  Regards dave
                  Thanks Dave.

Comment

T,
                    To back Dave up: It will be just fine. The pompeii, is a very forgiving structure. Look up some of the "old world" oven pics from hundreds of years ago.

Did you try scoring the bricks with the brick set (bolster) or the diamond blade before cutting them with the brick set? Either way you do it, scoring creates a fault line for the bricks to be broken (or cut) .
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ive been using the bolster to score the bricks. Seems to work well enough. Ive only been using the grinder with a masonry grinding blade and havent tried out the cutting blade yet as i havent needed it to this point.

Overall im pretty happy with it , it just doesnt look as nice as some of those guys who use nice saws. I actaully really like the look of the cut side of the brick on the outside, seems rustic to me. I might even bolster that red brick I have and put the cut side out to face the dome after I insulate, rather than a small enclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
                        ............... I actaully really like the look of the cut side of the brick on the outside, seems rustic to me. I might even bolster that red brick I have and put the cut side out to face the dome after I insulate, rather than a small enclosure.
                        I don't mean to encourage or discourage that. I can see where it would be a great looking build. But, if I remember correctly, you are not wanting to put an open sided roof over it either. That may mean several coats of some kind of clear acrylic to seal the rough exterior from the elements.

just sayin'

Joe

Comment

G'day
                          I agree with gulf on the sealer the outer surface of the brick is water resistant so why waste it . In fact a house brick is designed to be water resistant a firebrick certainly is not.
                          My build I've finished with house bricks cut 1/4s and split down the middle. You guessed it brick bulster again . I had the use of a chop saw but only used it for some small cuts but did the organic way and split it by hand . It overcome the disadvantage of render ..... Cracking and gave me a wheather resistant exterior and still keep the dome shape and the open sky. Best thing I ever done.
                          Follow the link to my build as I can't attach a pic at this time
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

G'day
                            I agree with gulf on the sealer the outer surface of the brick is water resistant so why waste it . In fact a house brick is designed to be water resistant a firebrick certainly is not.
                            My build I've finished with house bricks cut 1/4s and split down the middle. You guessed it brick bulster again . I had the use of a chop saw but only used it for some small cuts but did the organic way and split it by hand . It overcome the disadvantage of render ..... Cracking and gave me a wheather resistant exterior and still keep the dome shape and the open sky. Best thing I ever done.
                            Regards dave
                            The only reason I was looking at putting the cut edge out was for the look, but based on your and Gulf's advice that doesn't sound like a very good idea. I'm liking the dome shape and will likely keep it and use the bricks as a veneer with the finished side out.

Thanks again for the advice much appreciated.

Comment

G'day
                              Regards dave
                              Dave - Love the look of that brick on the dome. So you split the brick in half(lengthwise) the into 1/4's?

I noticed that for your oven entrance that you used clay bricks instead of firebricks. How have they held up? It would reduce the number of firebricks that I would need as I have about 600 of these red clay bricks that were free that I was going to use for veneer anyways.

Comment

G'day
                                Bricks were halved then split lengthways. Yielding a brick half as thick as a normal brick.
                                Only the dome and hearth of my oven is firebrick. The entrance, chimney
                                Dome cover are all clay bricks. All different types house bricks commons and even a few clay pavers. The chimney and entrance can handle the heat no probs, it's been four years now so if there were to be problems it should have happened by now. Best thing is they don't soak up water like a firebrick does. If you haven't dropped one in water try it. The water will turn to a mass of bubbles like soda water, doesn't happen with a house brick. I'm happy I went that path . I've checked its actually in the plans that you can use house bricks to save on firebrick
                                Regards
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X