Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a good idea to bevel the floor brick edges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a good idea to bevel the floor brick edges?

I've seen in a couple of builds (can't recall which ones) where the edges of the floor brick were slightly beveled or chamfered. This seems like a good idea (less chance of peel catching on the brick edges). Are there any drawbacks?

Re: Is it a good idea to bevel the floor brick edges?

Originally posted by edsiajb View Post
    ....Are there any drawbacks?
    If the plane of the hearth isn't level, there is lippage whether the brick edges are beveled or not.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

If they are extreme then it could cause you some strain.... but for the most part the way things lay out, it is unlikely that it will be extreme. With use, Ash will fill in and the way you use your peel will be direct and to the point. Meaning that you won't really notice it because it does not need to be perfect.

However, I would try to keep it as level as possible. I used sand to level mine, it wasn't much. Some people use fire brick dust or fire clay.

My advice, do your best and then cook your @$$ off. It will likely be a moot point as you enjoy the idiosyncrasy's of your build.

Good luck.
      Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

The only disadvantage is that in order to get a bevel you will need to grind off some of the outer layer on the firebrick. Uncut firebrick has a very hard outer layer which you want to preserve if possible. Elsewhere on this forum some of the brick experts discuss that.

Comment

Just lay them at a 45 degree angle or herringbone and there is no need.

Comment

By chamfering the edges you will create grooves that will collect crap (dirt, ash, etc.), which will become difficult to clean out. I recommend the herringbone pattern and take some care in laying your floor. You will be fine.

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies and insight. I will lay them just as they are (herringbone pattern). Now I have to figure out how much fire clay and sand to mix up....

Comment

catching a peel on the bricks is something I think you only worry about before you build your oven. In practice, I have never had a single problem
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                X