Propane only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane only

Does anyone have a Pompeii oven that just uses propane gas and no wood?

RR

Re: Propane only

I think forum policy is that there is no discussion of gas-fired ovens due to safety concerns. Somebody else may correct me, but I think I have seen that mentioned before.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I thought I wanted Gas...that made sense to me at first.....but after finishing and cooking with wood.....there is no better cooking environment.

drop the gas, you will be glad you did.
      Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Forno Bravo sells a oven that uses gas.

The gas-fired version of the Modena2G ovens provides a high heat, high throughput pizza baking experience that accurately replicates a true wood fire. The gas-fired Modena2G ovens can operate in both gas-only and gas/wood modes.

Why would the gas subject not be talked about???

RR

Comment

Because you might blow yourself up
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

I think you would get away with serious burns.
            Let's keep it metric

Comment

How do you explain the fact that Forno Bravo sells propane
              model gas fired pizza ovens?

I am confused.

RR

Comment

I was being funny.... But my reason was factual. Should a propane flame go out gas is still poured into the oven. Being a dome Gas will rise to the top of the Dome and stay there.

IF YOU LIGHT A MATCH BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM.

I did this with a gas WEBER once with lid on pushed a flame through hole at bottom and the lid shot about 30 feet into the air and the noise deafened me for about 15 minutes.

I used propane on my WFO to cure but used a gas fuse I tested it first outside the oven and guess what GAS switched off almost immediately, quite useful. Tried it in the oven and it worked too. So I proceeded.

Moral to all this be BLOODY careful should you proceed down this path. Someone on this site lost his father in law this way.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-18-2014, 03:44 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

I assume everyone knows you don't re-light a gas device if
                  the flame goes out. You wait at least five minutes for the gas to
                  clear out of the area, whether it be an oven or grill.

Propane gas is heavy than air or natural gas, so it does not rise.
                  It sinks to floor level, but is still dangerous and can explode.

As far as leaks go, wouldn't every person who own a grill or BBQ
                  be at the same risk level for some type of leak?

RR

Comment

Does anyone sell Gas Fuse in the United States?

Comment

Not sure about, propane falling in the case of my Weber lid shooting 30' into the air. Sure looked to me that the gas was hovering in the lid.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by rocket2004 View Post
                        I assume everyone knows you don't re-light a gas device if
                        the flame goes out. You wait at least five minutes for the gas to
                        clear out of the area, whether it be an oven or grill.

Propane gas is heavy than air or natural gas, so it does not rise.
                        It sinks to floor level, but is still dangerous and can explode.

As far as leaks go, wouldn't every person who own a grill or BBQ
                        be at the same risk level for some type of leak?

RR
                        Have at it and by the way, good luck. We used to heat our masonry sand in cold weather by dumping it on a culvert and placing a propane weed burner into one end of the culvert. Wind blew it out one morning so the labor went to relight the torch after it had been pouring fuel into the tube for who knows how long, the results were not good. I strongly suggest a gas grill if you want to use propane, unless you are want to be burnt badly. Just wondering how you know for sure that all the propane has been expelled from the dome?
                        Last edited by Campmaki; 07-20-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I have a 36 inch Pompeii oven that I converted to propane and I love it.
                          I get twice the enjoyment out of my oven and cannot tell the difference in taste.
                          See my post at
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-tile-dome
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ld-mexico.html

Comment

Mexman, can/do you move your burner around in the oven or is it in a fixed location? Also, does your gas come in through the main opening or did you drill through your dome?
                            My build thread
                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

JR
                              Please see the photo's in the above post.
                              The flame comes from the bottom. I like it because I can control the heat and the burner has an autu shutoff if the fire goes off.
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ld-mexico.html

Comment

Working...
                              X