Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketch-up question

Hello Gents,

For any of you that have used sketch-up to design and plan your builds, is it a free version or would one need to splash out for the paid version of the software? I learned today that I will have to submit a request for planning permission before starting my build. This would need to be able to show garden area, elevation/slope down to neighbours property and of course dimensions of the build...

Advice gladly accepted.

Thanks,

Eoin

Re: Sketch-up question

I've used the free version, but I haven't needed to generate formal drawings with it. It seems pretty powerful, so long as you aren't used to dealing with a real mechanical CAD tool.

Comment

Originally posted by pluscwc View Post
      I've used the free version, but I haven't needed to generate formal drawings with it. It seems pretty powerful, so long as you aren't used to dealing with a real mechanical CAD tool.
      Do you have a link to your build or pictures up from sketch up? Not sure what is from the free version and what is extra version (my sketch-up skills are on the low scale...). At this stage I am trying to figure out what may be possible with the free version....

Comment

IMHO, you can do more than you need to with the free version. It will do very detailed drawings, limited only by the skill of the user. Watch some of the training videos to get started. I used it for designing my backyard, my oven, and for some terracing of my front yard. It's a great tool
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I would point to [URL="http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/starting-new-36-build-16994.html"deejayoh's build thread,[/URL] for what you can do with Sketchup. My models are crude and mostly for my own figuring out what to do.

I have used the tool for woodworking, testing out wood fired oven design ideas, and simple 3D printing models. I think it's pretty easy to use after following the tutorials. Be prepared to spend some time on it and throw away a model or two. It can be easier starting over sometimes.

I don't know anyone who uses the pay version of Sketchup, last I checked it was hundreds of dollars and didn't add features I needed.

Comment

Working...
          X