Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Any flaws in my dome and arch design?

Hello Zoltan,

Nice CAD work. My drawings were done an old spiral note book (old school, I guess). Here are some suggestions:

1. On the "floor" heat break choose something other than silicon to fill the 1/2" gap. This is a high use area, use a piece of thin wall SS "u" or square tubing.
    2. The inner arch seems to be inset a little too far in. The front side of the inner arch should protrude from the dome and back side should intersect the dome with a smoother angle.
    3. Landing in front of oven looks good
    4. Opening height is the right rule of thumb ratio, width looks good.
    5. Insulating brick are a great product but they are not very strong. I would be a little concerned about how you fasten your chimney anchor plate to insulating brick.

Here is a link to a software program that will help you with developing dimensions for your arch bricks, inner, vent and decorative, if you so chose. Great start.

General Tools and Instruments

Leave a comment:

• stlouisz
    started a topic Any flaws in my dome and arch design?

Any flaws in my dome and arch design?

I am finalizing my design and would appreciate feedback on some of the features. It has taken sooooo long to get to this point.....

I am definitely building a 36" hemispherical dome, with a round arch, located in a house enclosure filled with insulation, and 3" insulation blanket. I'll be using a wooden arch template to locate the dome bricks.

I believe I have located the dome arch appropriately to intersect with the inside curvature of the dome.

I am trying to minimize the depth of the vent landing, for ease of use.

Does anyone see anything that might be a design flaw, I am particularly interested in thoughts on the following.

1) My design includes a heat break in the floor and between the dome and arch. Although I am a little leery about the structural effects of this, I believe it is similar to many successfully constructed ovens. In particular, I modeled much of it on Utahbeehivers' arch. The main difference is construction of the vent transition to the flue using insulating brick. This straddles the dome's arch and the vent arch, and would be a source of heat transfer.

My main intent is to maintain temp for baking on the following day. I will make an insulated door for the decorative arch as well. So, I'm not sure how much sense the heat breaks make in this situation.

2) Thoughts on depth of the counter in front of the oven?

Thanks,
    Zoltan
Working...
X