Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 36" Oven in Salt Lake City

Boos,

Nice to meet you, sounds like you did a score on the double wall SS vents and @ 60% off at NPS. I go there every week. Yell if you have any more questions. I know we covered a lot of territory.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I've been busy with the oven this week and finally got the floor laid out and now I'm ready to start the dome and design the arch (I'll post pictures soon).

I've read so much about the tapered arch design from UtahBeeHiver and GianniF but it's still a bit of a puzzle to me. I see the template designed using the Angleizer that Russell used and I think that makes sense, but I saw a picture of his (re-posted below) where the cut is being off-set with wedges on the saw. How was this angle determined? And further, I can't seem to locate the template method that was used to make the taper cuts for the inner arch. I've really slowed down at this point....I know getting the hang of things will come but I feel I'm in over my head.

Comment

Make a template using the "dimensions" from the Anglelizer program then trace onto end of brick, then use wedges to set the brick at the correct angle to cut thru. No angles to calc at this point. The angleizer is used at this point only to make a front part of the arch in even number of bricks, your IT will set the angles on the back side for a tapered arch. Call me if you need more info.
        Russell

Comment

Thanks Russell for the help, really appreciated.

Comment

Time for some updates and some questions. Over the past week I did a dry run of the floor and made the necessary cuts. The neighbor kid came by and really wanted to help (he's like 6 maybe). So I told him to point and number the floor bricks and I'd mark them. Well, it's pretty funny how it turned out.

As you can also see, I made a bit of a mess with the insulation. I had a couple of bags of FireRock mortar mix and couldn't return them, so I decided now to paste up the sides of the insulation before I mangled them. Really runny stuff.

Comment

I made a jig (thanks mrchipster) and it works great, except for my saw. I have the blue HF saw that is a tad tight on clearance. I can't have the jig in place and make all the cuts I need without the brick hitting the motor housing. So I made a couple adjustments and flipped the jig opposite to the description. Works for now but we'll see how it goes when I get to the steep bevels.

Comment

I tried out the jig and laid a course of bricks, making adjustments and just making it work as I go. I got excited and just put the bricks down and didn't check the distance with the IT. So now my 36" oven is currently a 36 1/2"-ish oven. Correctable this early on I think.

I put in a thermal break, using 2" square aluminium. I filled it with FB board and put it into place. I really like the look of oxidized aluminium after the polish wears away.

I've also decided that I'm no longer a perfectionist. I used to be....but now I'm somewhere between perfectionist and 'Meh that's good enough.'

Comment

I started designing the arch and got started using the Angle-izer (thanks Russell) and got going. Since the clearance of my HF saw is tight, I had to make four cuts, two on each side of the brick to get the correct shape. If anyone has any suggestions for cutting arch bricks, I'd love to hear it.

All the cuts led to less-than perfect bricks but still pretty happy with it. I laid it out and started getting advice for the tapering of the arch.

Comment

I made some cuts but things just don't look or feel right. This is where I really need help.

I used my IT and adjusted the length. I assumed it was correct but well, I don't know now. As you can see in the picture with the cut brick, it doesn't work. So what did I do wrong and what do I need to do to fix it???

Comment

While I'm still going....I came across some 3/16" 5052 aluminium alloy. I was thinking about using this for my door, but I don't know. The melting point is around 1200 F but the hot forge temperature is between 500-900 F. It doesn't get soft but it takes considerably less force to bend the metal at these temperatures. I'm not worried about it melting, but I'm wondering if it will deform or wear out quickly with use. Thoughts?

Comment

Looks like you're doing well.

If you haven't seen my blog, here it is, in case you need any "new" ideas.
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...ngs-18845.html

Thanks,
                        Dana

Comment

Thanks CSprings, I'm enjoying reading your posts as we speak.

Where about in the Springs are you? My brother lives near Fountain.

Comment

give me a call monday if you still need help on tapered arch and i will come over.
                            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by theboos View Post
                              Thanks CSprings, I'm enjoying reading your posts as we speak.

Where about in the Springs are you? My brother lives near Fountain.

We're on the northeast side of CSprings.

Thanks,
                              Dana

Comment

Thanks Russell for the offer. I got the arch figured out after I just started building and putting bricks into place. Pics to follow soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X