pompeii oven build in maine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pompeii oven build in maine

so ive started planning my build im a concrete flatwork contractor here in Maine but have no experience in building an oven i do know i want a 36" pompeii with over hanging slab over the cinder block, i can build the form so it over hangs but i dont want this huge block walls under the slab anyone have an idea how wide the wall can be from outside to outside front to back for an over hung slab and how wide can i make it (the slab) this will determine my foundation
    oh also is there a rule on how high the cooking floor is ??
    seams most people are building a 4 in slab with 4in of perilite/ vermiculite crete?
    thanks !

Re: pompeii oven build in maine

For what its worth, I spoke to a contractor here in Florida who advised me that the ideal height of the cooking floor is about 42 inches from the ground. Your hearth will be about 10-11 inches (4 inches of concrete, 4 inches of perlcrete/vermicrete, and 2-1/2 inches of firebrick. So your pedestal will need to be about 31-32 inches tall.

I spent two weeks in Maine this summer. Loved it, and also picked up an old wood stove door for my pizza oven. (40 bucks for a 1900's Ideal Atlantic cast iron door). If you are looking for one, check out Bryant's Stoves in Thornton.

Still haven't quite figured out how to mount it, but it will look great when I do!

Good luck!

Comment

Re: pompeii oven build in maine

Originally posted by ftaylor74 View Post
      For what its worth, I spoke to a contractor here in Florida who advised me that the ideal height of the cooking floor is about 42 inches from the ground. Your hearth will be about 10-11 inches (4 inches of concrete, 4 inches of perlcrete/vermicrete, and 2-1/2 inches of firebrick. So your pedestal will need to be about 31-32 inches tall.

I spent two weeks in Maine this summer. Loved it, and also picked up an old wood stove door for my pizza oven. (40 bucks for a 1900's Ideal Atlantic cast iron door). If you are looking for one, check out Bryant's Stoves in Thornton.

Still haven't quite figured out how to mount it, but it will look great when I do!

Good luck!
      Thanks for the reply I was thinking about the same think ness the height was my main concern 32in sounds about right !

Comment

Working...
      X