Reclaimed fire brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaimed fire brick

First post but have been lurking for a while. Almost ready to move from planning to action. Looking for opinion on using this firebrick. Solid fire bricks that have a great looking light beige color. These bricks are from an old kiln of a brick factory. Bricks are approximately 4"x3"x9"
    Thanks

Re: Reclaimed fire brick

Hi PizzaPatrick

I used similar type bricks that were used in many different uses and so far (3 cooks in) everything has held up great. I believe my bricks were mostly all 4.5"x4.25"x9"

My blog has good pics of everything from the bricks on.

hth
    Frenchy
    Frenchy

Visit my build blog: http://frenchysgrubblog.blogspot.ca/...ood-fired.html

Comment

I would use them for the dome, but get low duty firebrick for the floor. Those are most likely high duty, which means more dense, more alumina and thus have higher conductivity. Not a problem in the dome, but could be an issue on the floor.

Comment

Thanks for feedback. Price is about $1/brick. Would I be better served to go all new light or medium duty? How much more effort to cut/trim heavy duty?

Comment

It depends upon how you plan on building it. For a shake and bake Italian style, you can beat them into submission with a hatchet, but if you are as anal as most of the builders here are, you will find that the brick are tedious to cut.

Comment

Price of HF diamond saw blade is about $25 with a discount. Figure you'll use 1 or 2 more than you might with the M or L duty bricks. If you can get the bricks cheap enough, you probably come out ahead.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

How old? Some had asbestos added.

Comment

Reflecting on this $1 a brick for used ok but not great - how much are new bricks in your area? My rule of thumb is always that used should be 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of new as a starting point for craigslist sort of deals.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I paid $2.33 for new 9 x 4.5 x 2.5 at County Materials. I've also priced them at other shops at $2.85 and $2.50.

Comment

Medium duty firebrick at my local brick supply are 1.29/brick.

Comment

Working...
                    X