Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central Utah 42" Pompei Build (continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Central Utah 42" Pompei Build (continued)

While away from the build for the summer, I worked on my plans for the structure enclosing my oven. Based upon some photos that I found in the Forno Bravo forum, I had a rough idea for my steel and Hardibacker structure. Based upon the dimensions of my stand, I drew out the attached plans for the structure so that I could determine the supplies I needed for our September build.

Comment

The other task for down time was to build my oven door. During the last trip to the cabin, I created a cardboard template so I could be sure of the exact size of my door. I purchased two weldable steel panels from Lowes and a couple of stainless steel handles. I also bought an arc welder and a sheet metal cutter (a fabulous tool) from Harbor Freight. Never having welded before, I watched a few tutorials on Youtube and gave it a try.

All in all, everything went very well. I welded the front panel to the edge. I drilled and secured the stainless steel handles. I then filled the door with leftover ceramic board and welded on the back panel. I applied several coats of flat black barbecue paint. I then glued (with high temperature adhesive) insulated fireplace braiding around the inside of the door. I found both of these products on the web.

Happily, my door fits like a dream!

Comment

Finally back at it the weekend of September 20th. First things first was to test out our door, attach the Duravent anchor plate and begin the cure process. On Friday, when we arrived, we ran a Mr. Heater Big Buddy at 250 degrees in the oven for five hours.

Comment

Early Saturday morning we begin the day with our first curing fire of 300 degrees which we maintained throughout the day. We also attached our two foot 8" chimney pipe and cap.

Comment

Next, we insulate our oven with 3 boxes of 1" ceramic blanket insulation from Forno Bravo. The three boxes allow us to place three layers over the entire oven with plenty of overlap. This blanket is easy to cut and easy to install. It stays nicely where you place it.

Comment

Next, we throw up our upper walls, create our first truss, and keep the 300 degree fire running late into the evening.

Comment

Bright and early Sunday at it again. How about that sunrise on the rocks out our front window!

We cut and assemble our eight trusses. Then, thanks to my building buddy Lynda's good thinking, we string together our trusses on the ground and lift the whole roof into place securing it to the structure.

Comment

All day on Sunday we maintain a 350 degree fire in the oven.

Now that the roof's up, we begin to cover as much of the structure with Hardibacker as we can get done before day's end. It will be another month before we can get back to the cabin so we want as much covered as possible. This takes us well into the evening with a 4 hour drive home. So much for the weekend.
                  Last edited by paynerob; 11-01-2014, 09:20 PM.

Comment

The next opportunity to continue our build was the weekend of October 17th.

This weekend we hauled down a half cord of cherry wood to fuel the oven. Sadly, the only wood in the area of our cabin is pine and aspen (apparently no good for firing an oven). We also hauled down a nice piece of remnant granite that will work great for the hearth.

One major goal for the weekend is to finish the cure. We will fire the oven all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 400, 500 and 600 degrees.

First things first, stack the hardwood below the oven. Then we finished off the Hardibacker enclosure.

The final task on Friday is to raise the the hearth to 1.5" below the oven floor, the perfect height to accommodate our granite hearth.

Comment

On Saturday, we secure a sheet of plastic over the roof to protect the Hardibacker board. We won't be finishing the roof or siding the structure until the spring.

After protecting the roof, we install the granite hearth. It looks beautiful.

The rest of Saturday and a few hours on Sunday are spent installing backing pieces for the soffit and facia that we will install next Spring.

On Sunday we crank the fire to 600 degrees for five hours and the final day of our oven cure. We then button it up--potentially for the winter.

So that brings our cabin build up to date. The oven is now protected and fully cured. We hope to make it down to the cabin at least one more weekend to throw a pizza or two. It all depends on the weather. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Nice looking project and a lovely setting you have there. I look forward to following your build. Best of luck w/it.
                        My Build:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Amazing how time flies. Nearly two years since my last post but then not much has happened other than lots of delicious pizza. Here are a few pics of the first firing and pizza in November of 2014.

Comment

So why has it taken me two years to do anything more with my pizza oven? Truth be told, I was a little burned out. Also, the motivation was dulled a bit now that the oven is functioning beautifully. I should note that a crack developed during the first full temp firing in 2014. If I had the curing to do over again I would have taken even more time and spent 2 or 3 more days firing it up between 600 degrees and 1000 degrees. In the end, the crack doesn't seem to cause any problems. Just sad after all of the meticulous work. The oven holds temperatures beautifully and on the morning after a pizza evening I often make bread, cinnamon roles or a frittata in the 500 degree oven. I'll just think of the crack as the equivalent of a Navajo rug imperfection.

Comment

About that cinnamon bread!

Comment

The other reason for my lack of progression on the pizza oven was the conundrum of how to finish off my soffits and eaves with their funky angles. I am committed to not using any wood products on the oven which would have been the easiest solution. In the end, I decided to purchase sheet copper to wrap the eaves and soffits. While researching this option, however, I learned that copper does not do well when it contacts galvanized steel-the substance of my metal trusses. Something about galvanic metal corrosion and definitely not something I wanted for an oven I expect to last hundreds of years. So, in the end I opted to wrap the soffits and eaves with one layer of galvanized steel and second layer of aluminum. For this project, I had to create a bending break that could bend seven foot sheets of metal in needed angles. Taking some basic ideas from the internet and making a few modification of my own, I created a very effective break for the long sheets. I purchased a second 3' bending break from Harbor Freight and it was off to the races. So, after my two year hiatus, I began work again last weekend and finished off my eaves and soffits.

Comment

Working...
                                X