Solid house bricks for the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid house bricks for the stand?

I?ve got an extensive pile of solid bricks at my disposal and am thinking of using them instead of the concrete blocks in the standard plans. Is anyone aware of previous oven builds that have been done using bricks? All the builds I?ve looked at use concrete blocks but since the bricks are free and sitting here already, it makes sense to use them for the stand.

The simplest approach is going to be to build an equivalent height to the blockwork plans but just in a single row of bricks, any comment on whether this would be sufficient?

Re: Solid house bricks for the stand?

Here is a link to Arthur's album. He did not start a build thread. He built a great looking brick stand for his oven. It looks like he double walled. I would do the same.

I would love to have seen this build chronicled, with some finished oven pics.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Blocks are cheap and easy to lay is the main reason I would say,but in Melbourne bricks are cheap and free is even better.
      Its hard to get bricks in Qld, blocks are everywhere, in Melbourne its a lot easier to get bricks.
      Use the bricks.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say go with the bricks. Overall I think they look better than besser blocks. People just use the blocks because they're easy to lay. You can even lay them dry and then fill in the holes with wet concrete mix and so can put up a wall quite fast. Whether or not you go with a single wall I think would depend on how large your base is going to be. If it's only small I'd think single would be fine.
        Some articles I've been working on: How to build a pizza oven

Comment

Thanks for the links. Nice looking brickwork there, can't imagine my handiwork will see as good.

I've looked up some guidance docs on wall strength, seems that with a single skin wall tied at one end and with a slab on top, you can go up to 3m high. Still, I think that adding piers in the corners will add peace of mind and only add a little amount of extra work, do that is the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon_Squad View Post
            Thanks for the links. Nice looking brickwork there, can't imagine my handiwork will see as good.

I've looked up some guidance docs on wall strength, seems that with a single skin wall tied at one end and with a slab on top, you can go up to 3m high. Still, I think that adding piers in the corners will add peace of mind and only add a little amount of extra work, do that is the plan.
            And may I add, at the openings
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
            X